If you could take only one thing to a deserted island, you probably wouldn’t go. After all, you usually need a separate suitcase just for your beauty essentials. ‘Sound like you? If it is, don’t break a sweat. Our guide to packing smart and travel-sized, will ensure you never spend another penny on excess baggage. Read and shed that weight:
For a conservatively-sized tube, this one packs a lot of punch. A multipurpose skin care gel, it moisturizes, provides SPF 25 sun protection, limits the secretion of oil and leaves you skin with a smooth, non-greasy glow. Light on the suitcase and the skin, its lightweight gel base works perfectly for oily, break-out prone skin.
Can’t fit towel-dried hair into your packed sightseeing schedule? Here comes Wahl’s Max Pro Travel Hair Dryer to the rescue! Toy-sized and break-proof, this baby delivers 1200 watts, a 2-speed heat setting and salon-style results. Worldwide voltage ensures you can plug it in anywhere from Tokyo to Tenerife.
Not only is it a cult-favorite, Avene’s Thermal Spring Water comes in a travel-friendly size, easy to tuck away in your handbag. A quick spritz will refresh dry skin after a long flight, or keep you cool in mercilessly hot climates. This elixir also treats redness, irritation and sunburn, serving as a great emergency go-to for when you’re on vacation.
If you have straightened or misbehaved hair, you probably already know that a miniature hair iron is a must on holiday – especially if it involves going in the sea or pool. Lifelong’s ceramic iron ensures quick touch-ups for shiny, burn-free hair. Its smurfy size belies a temperature range of 210 degrees, and a warm up time of just 60 seconds. Ooh – and it’s pink!
Don’t think dry shampoo works? Believe it! Whether you’re thick-haired or hard-pressed for time, this little bottle will sort out your mane faster than you can say ‘oil slick’ – just a few spritzes and a thorough massage to fake a salon-fresh coif quick, and none would be the wiser.
Nyassa’s got you covered for toiletries with their super-cute Under The Ocean Travel Kit. The pouch contains pint-sized bottles of handmade soap, body lotion, shower gel, shampoo and conditioner to last the length of a trip and discard when you’re done. Of course, we’d keep the handy pouch if we were you.
Petite but powerful, The Face Shop’s sunscreen stick is a carry-on essential for any kind of vacation. Infused with Sunflower extracts, waterproof and charged with SPF 50, it glides on easy, without leaving a pasty white cast. With 24-hour protection, this sunblock is perfect if you’re going on an outdoorsy adventure.
To save you time, space and money, The Body Shop’s created a multitasking skin care formula that ensures you’re not weighed down by several different products on your trip. The face cream adapts to your skin tone, working as a BB cream with buildable coverage, a 24-hour moisturizer and illuminator. What’s more – it nourishes your face with Aloe, leaving a dewy, picture-perfect complexion
Quick tips for traveling light but smart
Quick tips for traveling light but smart
- Draw up a list of beauty essentials. For most people, that might include moisturizer, sunscreen and any other medicated or prescribed skincare, if you have it.
- Tailor your products to the climate. Travelling somewhere humid? Use cream-based blush and bronzer rather than cakey powder. Cold? Take a heavier moisturizer than your usual. Baking on the beach? Waterproof everything!
- Own half-finished bottles of products? Take them with you! They’re half their usual weight, won’t go to waste and can be discarded along the way.
- Save a buck and a whole lot of space with skin or scent samples from your favorite brands.
- Don’t forget your emergency go-tos. Prone to allergies? Carry an antihistamine. Burn easy? Soothing lotion is a must.
- Airplanes can be as bad as the Sahara. Dry plane air and closer proximity to the sun’s rays means you should drink plenty of water, put on sunscreen and keep a mist at the ready on flight.