Want to be the showstopper on your Wedding Day?
Skincare expert Dr. Jaishree Sharad shares some well-kept bridal secrets .
You’ve spent days poring over the minutest details, from the invites and flowers to the décor and your outfits, and everything in between. But if you haven’t planned your bridal beauty and grooming routines well in advance you could end up with some wedding-day blues. Most brides-to-be scramble around last minute to look their best, setting themselves up for a host of problems.
Well known cosmetic dermatologist, Dr Jaishree Sharad says that the Indian bride spend so much time and effort into getting every aspect of her attire—clothes, looks, jewelry and footwear—right. “What a shame if her skin and face don’t keep up amidst all that wedding finery!” Ultimately, the biggest wedding trend is naturally great skin, she says. A US trained fellow in Cosmetic Dermatology, Dr. Sharad is Vice President of the Cosmetic Dermatology Society of India and the Executive Board member of the European Society of Cosmetic and Aesthetic Dermatology.The good doctor hold forth on the most important beauty accessory for any bride: great skin! “No amount of makeup and concealer can mask patchy, bumpy skin and brides today are more aware than ever before that great skin is the only way to ensure great photos and a lifetime of pretty memories.” Nykaa caught up with the pretty-as-a-picture doctor who has gorgeous skin herself, to ask her about the emerging bridal skin trends as marriage mania reaches a feverish pitch.
- Which skin treatments are most in demand for brides today?
- As awareness and disposable incomes rise, brides-to-be are opting for a host of skin treatments before D Day. Earlier, for girls with near perfect skin, peels to restore glow would suffice. Photo or laser facials were popular for brides with an uneven skin tone. But today, there are a host of novel treatments to restore glow and elasticity to skin. I normally recommend a combination of fruit peels, skin polishing, laser photo rejuvenation and Ambrosia facials depending on individual skin types.
- Aren’t parlor or salon facials good enough?
- Sure, most upmarket salons offer a diverse range of facials for brides today but work only on the surface of skin and not deep within the epidermis. The effect of such facials is temporary, lasting for a few days or a week at best. On the other hand, medi facials give a hydrated, supple and brighter look that works at a deeper level. The effects are more evident and last longer too.
- Which specific facials do you recommend for brides?
- In particular, I recommend Oxygen Therapy with Mesoporation. The body’s cells need oxygen to sustain life and vitality of function. Oxygen therapy is based on this principle. The skin is refreshed with an oxygen jet that delivers concentrated oxygen with pressure on the skin, enhancing penetration to stimulate the cells’ metabolic processes and remove metabolic wastes more efficiently. Thus, dead and dull cells are sloughed off the skin surface, revealing fresh, young skin. This is followed by applying a skin brightening ‘magic elixir’ solution on the face with a mesoporation device that allows it to penetrate into the deeper layers of skin. The magic solution is a cocktail of vitamins, micronutrients, amino acids and antioxidants. The skin looks visibly smoother and rejuvenated, and pores are visibly reduced. The effect lasts for at least a fortnight.
- I am only 25 but I can see fine lines around my lips! How can I make them vanish?
- There are a host of procedures that can banish fine lines and early signs of wrinkles. One option is skin boosting injections of hyaluronic acid, a natural constituent of skin lost as we age. Hyaluronic acid binds and holds water in the skin, improving skin hydration and plumping it up from within. During the procedure, multiple tiny injections are given in the skin. The injections are spaced at three-four weeks for up to three sessions. Depending on the type of Hyaluronic Acid used, repeat sessions are required after six to eighteen months
- I am getting married in a few months. When should I have the procedure?
- It’s best to meet your dermatologist at least three months before the wedding. Post procedure your face might be a little bumpy or bruised at the injection sites though this settles down quickly. If you’ve waited too long for a consult, a gap of at least ten days before the last session and your wedding day is ideal. Many brides have these skin plumping procedures on the backs of their hands and even on the upper chest if they plan on wearing dresses with plunging necklines! The injections are perfectly safe when administered by a qualified dermatologist.
- I’ve been reading about the new trend of vampire facelifts just before weddings. What is this exactly?
- These are not as gory as they sound! PRP or the vampire face lift is a relatively new therapy, where the dermatologist separates plasma from red blood cells from a sample of your own blood and then re-injects the plasma into your facial skin. The plasma is rich in platelets (PRP) and contains growth factors that stimulate skin regeneration, making skin smooth and elastic and improving skin tone. There is no risk of allergic reactions because the sample is derived from your own blood. Sessions are repeated every four to eight weeks and you will need about three sessions to look your flawless best.
- What are the other hot bridal makeover favorites?
- Besides using fillers for face shaping and sculpting, many brides are opting for pre wedding treatments to create fuller lips, straighten noses and fill under-eye hollows. Hyaluronic Acid fillers can magically transform a gaunt, tired looking face into an amazingly fresh and rejuvenated visage. Fillers are the perfect way to get a luscious full pout It also works well to restore definition to lips when the lip margins start drooping or fading.
Not everyone is blessed with a straight, aquiline nose. Nose jobs are major, expensive surgeries. Fillers are the easiest and most painless way of getting a straight nose bridge and perfect tip. It’s best to get these procedures done well in advance so that you can get used to your new look. Moreover, mistakes or over filling can also be easily rectified.
- Any other beautiful bridal secrets that I should know about?
- Nothing can beat the glow of a calm and happy bride. Make sure you get adequate zzzs no matter how frantic things get. Eat plenty of fresh fruit and drink enough water. Finally enjoy everything about the wedding, the mishaps, the oversights and big and small joys.