We all know the struggle of perfecting a solid winged tip only too well. The precision, the time, the steady hand, the symmetry…..it ain’t easy. Like someone once said, “Never ask a girl with winged eyeliner why she’s late.” Whether you’re a fan of soft sex kitten flicks or grungy slept-in eyes, every gal’s makeup bag needs a good eyeliner. Want to go bold and bright or back to basics, you need an eyeliner that defines your eyes and adds dimension to your face. But with so many formulation out there, the question remains, “Which one should I use?” Choosing the right king of eyeliner completely depends on the look you want, soft and smoky or pointed and inky! Behold, our guide to all things eyeliner and say goodbye to panda eyes forever!
The commonest kind found in very makeup bag. It’s easy to handle and use. They are softer and creamier than the liners of yore. You will need to sharpen the pencil very often unless you decide to get the self-sharpener kohls now available. Even better, they’re available in a dizzying array of colors. So go ahead experiment gurrl!
Ideal if you want to: Use it on your eyelids. Play up your peepers by tight lining your upper lash line—drawing a line as close to your upper lashes as possible—or simply stroking it across you waterline for colored up drama.
- Easy to use, the formula just glides on.
- Look amazing on the waterline.
- Easy to carry (no risk of leaks and stains).
- Smouldering lines are a breeze.
- May get smudgy if you don’t use an oil-free concealer under-eyes first.
- Color starts fading in a few hours.
- Pencil need to be sharpened regularly to get a defined line.
These funky looking gel eyeliners
are the latest eye makeup innovations to take the world by storm. Favoured by makeup artists over their more fiddly cousins, the liquid eyeliner. Personally I would choose gel over liquid any day. These are available in a variety of colors and typically come in a cute pot with an applicator.
Ideal if you want to:Opt for bold, intense eye makeup. You can build on the formula, and creating smoky eyes and smudged-sultry peepers becomes a breeze.
- Highly pigmented so color payoff is great.
- Creamy, easy glide formula that lets you smudge freely.
- Easy to apply, even for makeup newbies.
- Dries quickly so you need to work fast and with accuracy.
- Less convenient to carry compared to pencil eyeliner.
- Tugs skin if worn on eye lid.
This is not recommended for makeup newbies because it requires rock steady hands and can be quite fiddly and tough to apply at first. Mess it up on first try and you’ll have a job on your hands cleaning up the squiggly line without messing it all up. However, it is THE best formula if you want to create sultry cat eyes or dramatic bold lines. If you love these looks, patience and practice will make perfect! Just keep at it till you can swipe on your fave shape with your eyes shut!
Ideal if you want to: Own the cat eye! And every other winged liner look on the planet!
- Easy to create well defined lines.
- It’s a breeze to go thick or thin depending on your mood.
- Matte finish that looks polished.
- Requires time and precision.
- Needs time to dry.
- Can flake and peel over time.
Quick tip: While practicing your skills, start by drawing a line on your eye lid with a pencil liner and trace it with a liquid liner. This will work as a guide. If you’re a pro, start at the middle of the eye lid and SLOWLY brush across the lash line towards the outer edge. Then, start at the inner corner of the eye and continue to brush until you reach the middle of your eye.
This genius makeup find gives you a thin, defined line in a swipe. It’s much easier to control and you can hold it like a felt pen as you trace your eyelids. Gives better applicator than a liquid liner. It is a little difficult for newbies. Practice makes perfect!
Ideal if you want to: Create dramatic eyes and cat eyes.
- Easy to control.
- Quick precision.
- Great for thick lines.
- More prone to smudges.
- Need to layer to get desired definition.
- Hard to clean up messes.
May the wings of your eyeliner always be even! Comment below to tell us which one’s your fave type.