Unless you are genetically blessed with gorgeous tresses that makes heads turn, you have to struggle the hard way to figure the right diet, products, hair growth supplements or even treatments to steer away from hair problems. Oh, and not even the most expensive shampoos and conditioners can improve the health of your hair and prevent further fallout. What you really need is a proper diet that can keep your hair enviously strong and long. Let’s have a look at the various vitamins for hair growth and thickness and their corresponding food sources to add to your everyday diet STAT.
The list of best vitamins for hair growth:
1. Vitamin A
Vitamin A helps in production of sebum, which keeps the scalp moisturized. It promotes circulation of oxygen to the scalp and fortifies hair follicles improving hair growth. However, a vitamin A deficient diet can result in hair loss.
Food products: Carrots, pumpkin, spinach, milk, eggs, yogurt, cod liver oil, broccoli, sweet red pepper, black-eyed peas, apricots, collard greens, kale
2. Vitamin B7
Vitamin B7 or Biotin breaks down proteins to release amino acids that are essential for strengthening hair. Using Biotin for hair growth reverses the damage caused by hair styling, chlorinated water and sun. Regular consumption of Biotin tablets for hair growth results in voluminous and lustrous hair.
Food products: Spinach, broccoli, almonds, sweet potatoes, cauliflower, mushrooms, cheese, peanuts, walnuts, salmon, pork, egg yolks, cereals, milk, sardines, avocados, raspberries
3. Vitamin C
Vitamin C, a hair growth vitamin, creates a protein called collagen that’s an integral part of hair structure. This collagen promotes the production of antioxidants and combats free radicals. Moreover, vitamin C prevents hair from aging. PS: Vitamin C helps the body absorb iron – an essential mineral for hair growth.
Food products: Brussels sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower, green and red peppers, spinach, turnip greens, cabbage, tomatoes, winter squash, guavas, blackcurrants, thyme, lemon, parsley
4. Vitamin D
Hair loss is linked to deficiencies of hair growth vitamins and minerals. The absence of vitamin D is known to cause hair loss. So ensure you get your daily dose of vitamin D.
Food products: Cheese, orange juice, almond, salmon, sardines, cod liver oil, oysters, egg yolk, mushroom, soy milk, oatmeal, cereal
5. Vitamin E
Vitamin E is known to circulate oxygen to the scalp while strengthening hair follicles. It seals in moisture, keeping the hair shaft from drying out and appearing dull. Moreover, vitamin E, the best vitamin for faster hair growth, prevents oxidative stress.
Food products: Spinach, sunflower seeds, avocados, almonds, peanuts, hazelnuts, broccoli, sunflower oil, soybean oil, mango, kiwi, pistachio, pickled olives, apricots
Skin or hair, dietary changes can go a long way in getting back the lost health and lustre. When everything else fails to work its trick on your scalp, you may have to resort to medications or hair growth treatments. Moreover, there are various over-the-Counter medications to help you achieve the gorgeous mane you desire.
Best Hair Growth Supplements
HealthViva Hair with Biotin is a powerful hair growth supplement formulated to boost hair growth and prevent hair fall. It improves the structure of keratin and helps build lustrous hair. Moreover, the capsules are fortified with Biotin, essential vitamins, minerals and amino acids
Regular consumption of these capsules can:
- Encourage hair growth
- Strengthens hair roots
- Encourage hair growth
- Encourage hair growth
- Encourage hair growth
Hairfinity Healthy Hair Vitamins Supplements a unique combination of vitamins and essential nutrients, such as biotin, amino acids, silica, and vitamins A, C, and D. The silica boosts the production of collagen which is necessary for hair growth.
- A natural hair supplement that creates an ideal environment for healthy hair growth
- Contains vitamins and minerals required for longer and stronger hair
- Packed with amino acids which promote a healthy and strong hair
- Sulfur-containing MSM delivers vitality
- Contains horsetail with silica for boosting hair growth
Viviscal Extra Strength dietary supplements supply vital nutrients to the hair follicle to prolong the anagen (growing) phase of the hair growth cycle, nourish thinning hair and promote hair growth in women. Features:
- Contains some ingredients of natural origins
- Surgery-free, easy-to-use solution for hair growth
- Scientifically proven to improve hair thickness
- Nourishes thinning hair and promotes existing hair growth from within
- Formulated with essential nutrients and vitamins for hair and scalp health
Power Gummies for women is a tasty and chewable nutritional supplement with the goodness of multi-vitamins and biotin that enhances hair and nail growth along with boosting metabolism. Gummies make for best hair growth supplements and can be chewed at leisure. Features:
- Power Gummies is a good multi vitamin with adequate amount of biotin and vitamins
- Biotin is an essential vitamin which promotes hair
- Vitamin B is an important vitamin for both skin and hair
- Affordable supplement for hair growth and thickness
- You can easily chew the power gummies before swallowing them
- It is advisable to take two gummies per day after any meal
The Ayurvedic formula of Pure Cure + Co Hair: Fast Acting Formula for Thicker, Fuller Shinier Hair improves digestion and blood circulation, helping your body to better absorb minerals responsible for a healthy hair growth, volume and vibrancy. Its potent vitamin C and antioxidants strengthen hair, arrest hair fall, repair damage, reduce dandruff and slow down greying. Features:
- 100% pure, natural, Ayurvedic and vegetarian hair growth tablets
- Arrests hair fall, breakage and damage by addressing its root cause - nutritional imbalances
- This hair growth formula sustains and strengthens hair at the roots; prevents excessive hair fall
- Repairs hair damage caused by the exposure to heat, chemical dyes and shampoos
Sometimes relying just on the best hair growth supplements or hair growth pills might not be enough. Hair growth treatments can be a way out.
Clinical Hair Growth Treatments
1. Laser Hair Growth Treatment
Regular laser therapy stimulates circulation and encourages hair follicles to grow hair. Laser hair growth treatment is less invasive than hair transplant surgery. Moreover, it is a painless hair growth treatment that helps strengthen hair. However, it may not be effective for people who are already in advanced stages of hair loss. Further, it demands a long commitment of monthly sessions and can go on as long as your scalp requires. Although a little expensive, laser therapy can be the best hair regrowth treatment.
2. Hair Transplant Surgery
Hair regrowth treatments might not be a favourable for all. Hair transplant is ideal for people with genetic baldness, thinning hair or scalp injury. It is not recommended if the cause of hair loss is chemotherapy medications. Hair transplant can be carried out in two ways:
- Follicular Unit Transplantation (FUT)
Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE)
- The doctor cuts out a strip of scalp skin from the back of the head using a scalpel. This incision is typically quite a few inches long depending on various factors.
- The incision is shut with stitches
- The doctor then separates the extracted portion of scalp into small divisions using a sharp surgical knife. When implanted, these divisions will help achieve hair growth that appears natural.
- The doctor creates tiny holes with a needle in hair transplant area on the scalp. These holes are then filled with hair strands.
- Every session would involve a successful transplant of hundreds or thousands of hairs on the scalp.
- The scalp would then be covered with gauze or bandages, allowing the scalp to heal.
Every hair transplant session may take at least 4 hours. Depending on the amount of hair transplant, the procedure could demand 4 or more sessions with sufficient time between each session to let the scalp heal.
The Section Where Your Lingering Doubts are Finally Answered!
1. What to eat to prevent hair loss?
Ensure your diet contains most of the following foods such as Eggs, Salmon, Spinach, Lentil, Walnut, Sweet potatoes, Nuts, Avocado, Carrot, Sunflower seeds, Oats
2. How many biotin hair growth tablets should one take in a day? Are they vegetarian?
It is recommended to pop two biotin tablets a day for best results. Do not exceed more than two. Yes, Biotin hair growth tablets are vegetarian.
3. What are some best hair growth medicines or best hair growth tablets available OTC?
The following are the two popular hair growth medicines:
- Minoxidil (Ropgaine)
- Minoxidil (Rogaine) is available over-the-counter, without any prescription. It can be rubbed on the scalp twice a day
- Finasteride (Propecia)
- Finasteride (Propecia) is an effective hair growth pill that can be had once a day.
Although these hair growth medicines are popular, it is advisable to be consumed only under a proper prescription.
4. Which vitamin is good for hair growth?
Vitamin B7 or biotin is essential for building healthy keratin protein and encouraging hair growth. Other hair growth vitamins include vitamins A, C, D and E.