Imagine, you spend hours ironing sections of your hair to finally nail the polished pony look before you step out of your home. Now, a lot can happen right from the commute till you reach your destination. Think errant hairs start showing up around your hairline and the nape of your neck along with unruly flyaways and bumps in your pony. Ugh. In other words, it only takes a few moments outside to wreak havoc and ruin your hairstyle. Does this mean a windy forecast spells death sentence for your coif? Absolutely not. There’s hope.
Sure, the weather ain’t gonna do your tresses any favors but you can still sport a look that won’t budge. How? A little spritz fest with your hair’s new BFF – the humble hairspray – will help fight the downers and hold your style in place. And no, this one’s no fair weather friend; it promises to stay from sundown to sunrise.
Why Use Hair Spray
- Remember the last time you bookmarked a hairstyle on your social media feed and felt inspired enough to try it? Well, you tried to only realize it wasn’t feasible to hold the style in place and pegged it as not-so-practical. Now, if you had a hairspray by your side, the verdict would have been more positive as the spray would have helped create and hold the experimental style with ease.
- Baby hair around your hairline and tendrils at the back of your neck are not always cute. Especially when you are trying for a power look which could do without rebellious flyaways. Hair sprays work well at taming the tiniest of unruly strands so your hairstyle not just looks but stays magazine perfect for the day.
- If limp strands have always been a concern, volumizing hair sprays are like a quick fix. They help boost the roots and make hair appear voluminous in a jiffy.
- The usual sinner guilty for your bad hair days? Grease. Now, the greasiness could be because of excess oil build up on scalp. However, simply brushing your hair with a bit of hairspray sprayed on it can miraculously make your hair appear less oily or greasy just like that. Voila!
Best Hair Spray For Women
Best hair sprays don’t work at the expense of leaving your hair weighed down, crunchy and limper. We’ve rounded up a handful of hair sprays to make your hair appear well coiffed whilst withstanding the cruel ways of the weather and wind.
FAQs On Hair Spray For Hair Styling
1. Can I leave hair spray on my hair overnight? How to remove hairspray residue from hair?
It is advisable to wash your hair often if you rely on hair sprays to style your hair. However, a good quality hairspray won’t leave traces on your hair and will fall back into its natural position after brushing. Baking soda is one easily available pantry ingredient that can break down hair spray and make it easier for the shampoo to wash away any residues. You can mix baking soda with your regular shampoo and rinse your hair with this solution.
2. How to use hair spray?
Avoid applying hair spray real close to your roots as you risk saturating your hair with a greasy finish. Also, ensure the product is evenly distributed as you don’t want the product to be concentrated in certain parts of hair. Ideally, hold the hair spray can at least six inches away from your tresses before use for best results. If you have opted for a formula with brushable hold, you can also comb or brush your hair after spritzing it with the formula. This will make it easier to distribute the product and ensure a smooth finish.
3. How to pick a hair spray?
There are mainly two types of hair sprays:
- Aerosol hair spray: Ideal for thin hair, it comes in a pressurized container that emits continuous mist to add volume to hair.
- Non-aerosol hair spray: Ideal for thick and curly hair, it uses a tubes, springs and valves to release the liquid inside the container.
Once you’ve decided between aerosol and non-aerosol, you can opt for a spray that addresses the issue of frizz, lacklustre or flyaways.
4. Recommend heat protectant hair spray.
Best heat protection sprays include: