The easiest way to slide from a meh skin day to a good skin day? Treat your skin to a good toner. Sure, at first, this liquid which looks just like water might sound like an unnecessary splurge. However, if you unsubscribe to this preconceived notion and give the mystifying toner a chance, you will realise it’s a liquidy treat you didn’t know your skin needed. Composed of water, antioxidants, anti-inflammatories, acids, and humectants, this secret skincare weapon balances your skin’s PH value and brings it to 5.5 – the optimal level for healthy complexion.
What is a toner?
Think of the toner as a primer for your skin care regime. It basically preps your pores by sweeping away the grime thus, ensuring better absorption of the skincare products that follow. This fast-absorbing liquid has a slightly acidic pH which helps balance the pH value of your skin and make it more receptive to skincare products.
What is toner used for?
Here’s a lowdown on skin toner benefits:
- A good toner helps minimize the appearance of pores by shrinking them. When pores are smaller, the way they should be, your skin has a smoother look. This means you can nail the bare face look like a pro!
- Toner acts as a protective barrier between your skin and environmental aggressors. This ensures that your complexion remains clean and unaffected by external factors.
- Who doesn’t love a hydration boost? Toners give your skin a burst of hydration thereby, calming troubled skin and reducing dryness.
- A toner makes up for the incompetency of your regular cleanser. It goes the extra mile to rigorously clear your skin of impurities, makeup residues and excess oil.
- Certain toners include humectants which moonlight as moisturizers. The humectants attract moisture from the air and deliver it to the skin for a plumper and smoother complexion.
- It makes slathering on your expensive moisturizer worth it by helping it soak in skin more easily. After all, it ensures a thorough cleanse and leaves the skin damp to make this happen.
How to use a toner?
Step 1: Cleanse your face as usual and pat it dry with a towel.
Step 2: Saturate a cotton pad with 2 drops of a toner and sweep it over your face and décolletage.
Step 3: While your skin is still damp, follow it up with a generous layer of moisturizer and the rest of your skincare routine.
Best Toners For Face
We’ve weeded through different formulas in the market to list the most effective ones organized by skin type.
FAQs On Best Skin Toner
1. What does facial toner do?
Simply washing your face with a cleanser doesn’t entirely clean your face. This is where the toner comes in for a thorough cleanse. It basically eliminates any last traces of makeup, dirt and impurities as well as excess oil that is clogged in your pores. When used regularly, it can shrink enlarged pores and restore the pH balance of your skin so that it remains healthy and glowing.
2. What can be used instead of face toner?
If you are looking for natural alternatives, you can use rose water, coconut water, rice water, aloe vera, green tea or apple cider vinegar as natural facial toners. The results, however, may not be as good as those delivered by specially formulated toners. This is because specially designed toners contain a blend of ingredients to improve your overall skin health.
3. Should we use toner daily?
If your skin is extremely sensitive, you can limit using toner to twice or thrice a week. In other cases, for best results, it is advisable to use toner every day after cleansing your face in the evening. There are many toners available in the market which are alcohol-free and suitable for daily use.
4. Recommend best toner for acne prone skin.
Best toners for acne prone skin include: