We all know of the disappearing rabbit act where the magician with a wave of the wand simply makes the rabbit vanish from sight. Amusing, innit? Well, you can be a magician too by roping in a concealer for your act and fading away bumpy blemishes and spots. Woohoo! After all, the best concealer can be a genius at melting into your skin to mask dark circles, scars, blemishes and cover up pimples. What we’re now looking at is a dreamy, flawless complexion.
Sure, the perfect concealer is hard to come by, but we’re here to ease the struggle and help you find the one that can execute the satisfying vanishing act on those stubborn spots. Excited?
How To Apply Concealer
Before we get to finding you that one good concealer, let’s first have a quick look at using this magic eraser the right way.
Step 1: Not to state the obvious, but first prep your face with a cleanser. Next apply a foundation that matches your skin tone. Reach out to the concealer only after this step.
Step 2: Start off by using a concealer brush to dab concealer in the shape of an inverted triangle under each eye. The tip of the triangle should be pointing towards your cheek. Blend with a makeup blender sponge.
Step 3: This is critical if you’re planning on some intense eye makeup and you’re out of primer. You can dab and spread a tiny bit of concealer on your lids for a smooth, even base.
Step 4: Once you’re done taking care of the eye area, move on to blemishes. Dot the concealer on top of dark spots and marks. Blend it outwards using your makeup sponge. You might be tempted to re-apply more of this miracle workhorse but remember you don’t want to look caked up so avoid layering.
Step 5: If you’ve got red spots or acne breakouts and would like to neutralize them opt for a green color corrector. The green hue will work at minimizing the redness.
Step 6: Once you’ve successfully concealed all spots on your face, finish off by dusting a setting powder all over your face using a fluffy brush. You can now continue with the rest of your makeup.
Ahead, we’ve exposed the best concealers for face categorized by skin tones and types.
FAQs on Concealers
1. Please give some tips and tricks for applying concealer effectively for optimal results.
- The key to applying concealer is using the gentle dip-dab-blend motion. Avoid rubbing the product and simply blend it outwards with the help of your fingertips or makeup sponge.
- Combining concealer with moisturizer or even highlighter for that matter can help lend a smooth, tinted coverage. It will help you achieve a naturally dewy finish that appears radiant.
- A typical noob mistake is starting off with the concealer first. Always use the foundation first and then layer it with the concealer wherever required.
- If you think you have applied excess amount of product around your eyes, you can always count on a blotting paper or tissue to absorb the excess. This will prevent the concealer from settling around the eyes and forming crease lines.
- Remember the ‘inverted triangle rule’ when you’re targeting your eye area. It’s recommended to draw a triangle with its base just below your eyes and the tip facing downwards toward your cheek. This ensures better coverage and hides your dark circles optimally.
- Sometimes a basic concealer just doesn’t cut it. For such instances, you can use color corrector concealers to tackle certain problem areas on your face. These special formulas have a neutralizing effect. Here’s a lowdown on a few shades and the purposes they serve:
- Orange Corrector: Neutralizes dark spots for medium or deep skin tones.
- Lavender Corrector: Neutralizes unwanted yellow undertones and sallowness.
- Peach Corrector: Neutralizes dark spots for light skin tones.
Nykaa Recommends: Kay Beauty Colour Corrector Stick – Orange, Nykaa InstaBlur Color Corrector Stick – Green , Nykaa InstaBlur Color Corrector Stick – Lavender, Kay Beauty Colour Corrector Stick – Peach.
2. Recommend best concealers for dry skin.
- Note Full Coverage Liquid Concealer
- Deborah Dress Me Perfect Liquid Concealer
- PAC Spotlight Liquid Concealer
3. Recommend best concealers for Indian skin tone.
- Insight Cosmetics Pro Concealer - 06 Rich Tan
- NYX Professional Makeup HD Studio Photogenic Concealer Wand - 6.3 Fresh Beige
- Maybelline New York Fit Me Concealer - 50 Cafe
4. Recommend best concealers for oily skin.
- Miss Claire Full Coverage Makeup + Concealer
- Stars Cosmetics Concealer
- L'Oreal Paris True Match Concealer