There we said it: Foundation does get a bad rep for making your face look dry and cakey. But we all deserve a good skin day without looking overdone. Enter: BB cream. Ideal for those who are not seeking the perfect porcelain skin but a natural, dewy finish that conceals spots to an extent – enough to still embrace their freckles. We call it a beauty powerhouse because it’s a classic example of a bevy of benefits rolled into one tube.
Fun fact: The BB cream was first developed in Germany as a substitute coverage cream for foundation to be used by patients who had undergone intense skin treatments and needed a formula that wouldn’t further irritate their skin. Post that it has remained a mainstay beauty product. Read on to hop on the BB bandwagon.
What Is A BB Cream
BB cream, short for ‘blemish base’ or ‘blemish balm’ is an alternative to heavy duty foundation that provides a light skin coverage. Here’s why it’s a multipurpose product: It offers a makeup base like a primer, hydrates your skin like your moisturizer, conceals small spots like a concealer, soothes inflamed skin like your day cream, protects against sun damage like your sunscreen and overall livens up dull complexion. What we’re basically saying is that you can toss away your foundation, concealer, moisturizer and sunscreen and still manage to look gorgeous with the one-and-done BB cream. P.S. Remember this the next time you are asked the ‘stranded on an island with just three things to take’ question.
When To Use A BB Cream
When you are looking for a natural-looking coverage to even out your skin tone and a tinted glow to perk-up your complexion, reach out for the BB cream. It’s especially perfect for times you don’t want your face to feel weighed down by a thick foundation.
How To Use A BB Cream
Step 1: Squeeze a pea-sized amount of BB cream onto the back of your one hand.
Step 2: Now dipping the tip of your ring finger into the puddle of the cream, gently dab and apply the cream in dots all over your face. The key is to get sheer coverage so ensure smaller blobs.
Step 3: Starting from your forehead, work your way towards the nose, cheeks and chin to gently spread the cream with a makeup sponge using outward strokes.
Step 4: You can now follow it up with the rest of your makeup and you are good to go!
Best BB Creams
Finding a formula that works for your skin can be a task. Here’s a list of our favorite picks organized by skin types and tones.
FAQs on BB Creams
1. What is the use of BB cream?
BB cream is like a makeup base that also offers skin care benefits, such as hydration, SPF protection, and glow. If you don’t want to weight down your face with multiple products, such as primer, foundation, concealer, moisturizer and sunscreen, you can simply opt for the lightweight alternative – BB cream. A few BB creams also go the extra mile and help improve skin’s elasticity, reduce wrinkles, minimize pores, combat aging, and impart a natural glow. You can apply it as your makeup base before the primer or even use it as a standalone product.
2. Recommend BB creams for different skin concerns.
- BB cream for anti-aging benefits: Dermafique Age Defying BB Crème
- BB cream for wrinkles: Olay Total Effects 7 In One Touch Of Foundation BB Cream Day SPF 15
- BB cream for dullness: Spawake Moisture BB Cream 02 - Natural Glow SPF 25 PA++
3. I am currently dealing with acne and pimples on my skin and so I would like to take a break from heavy foundations. Kindly suggest best bb creams for acne prone skin.
- Inveda BB Cream 8 In 1 With Magnolia & Almond SPF 20
- Vedic Line BB Cream Blemish Balm Cream SPF 20
- Incolor BB Cream 8-in-1 With SPF 15 Sunscreen
4. What are the best bb creams for oily skin?
- Colorbar Perfect Match BB Balm SPF 20
- Coccoon Protective Radiance Cream With BB + CC And Kakadu Plum SPF 30
- Note BB Cream