Folks with combination skin type have a struggle of their own. They have a little bit of both the worlds – oily and dry – which makes taking care of their skin nothing less than complicated. Take this for example: Skimping on hydration can make skin drier and going overboard on the same can make skin oilier. No one wants either. Clearly, it’s all about the balance but how does one achieve it? Well, simply lean on moisturizers which can deliver some hydrating love without making your skin feel either greasy or tight by noon.
Before we list out our standout favorites when it comes to best moisturizers for combination skin, let’s first help you confirm your skin type.
Identifying Combination Skin
Skin type is usually never the same throughout your life. It can transform over time due to a combination of factors like hormones, age, health issues, environmental aggressors, or seasonal changes. This means that just because your skin type was oily the last time you checked doesn’t mean it’s still the same. Who knew?
Here’s a little checklist of definitive indicators so you can be sure if your skin type is combination.
- Your skin is oily in certain areas and dry in others. You have an oily T-zone (forehead, nose and chin) while your eyelids and cheeks are dry.
- In summer, your skin gets oilier and in winter your skin gets drier. You have to deal with occasional breakouts as well as dry patches.
- The pores on your skin are noticeable and appear comparatively larger.
- You have a dry and flaky scalp or in other words, dandruff.
Best Moisturizers For Combination Skin
Inside this little blue container: whipped cream enriched with Hyaluronic Acid and Vitamin E both of which are top contenders when it comes to hydration. The Ponds Super Light Gel Oil Free Moisturiser works as the best face moisturizer for combination skin because it delivers a non-sticky result thanks to its oil-free gel texture. This lightweight formula promises to stay on for 24 hours while giving your face a lit-from-within, dewy look. P.S. It doubles as a smooth makeup primer.
Cream based moisturizers not your jam? Opt for Simple Daily Skin Detox Ultra Light Liquid Moisturiser. Infused with Thyme, Zinc and Witch Hazel extracts, this gel based moisturizer for combination skin will feel like micro drops of water bursting all over your skin. The result? Hydrated skin that lasts for 24 hours without any greasy finish. This mattifying moisturizer also works as a detoxifier to clear your complexion of spots and excess oil sans any added dryness.
What’s better than a moisturizer? An SPF-infused moisturizer. Lotus Herbal Nutramoist Skin Renewal Daily Moisturising Creme Spf-25 provides long-lasting hydration while protecting skin from UV rays induced damage. Replete with the goodness of Cherry, Plum extracts and Alpha Hydroxile fruit acids, it rejuvenates dull skin and leaves it smooth and soft. The best part? You will smell like a tropical paradise on your way to plump and balanced skin.
The trusted Aloe Vera is one miracle ingredient that needs no introduction. NIVEA Soft Aloe Hydration Cream based solely on the hydrating powers of Aloe Vera quickly melts into skin leaving behind a refreshing feeling. Its non-greasy formula soothes dry and irritated skin to pave the way for comfortable and hydrated skin. Oh and we love how this whipped cream glides effortlessly to coddle dehydrated skin.
We get it – you need a moisturizer that does its job well enough so you don’t have to keep reapplying and can get on with your busy life. Dermalogica Skin Smoothing Cream Mini Moisturizer equipped with Active HydraMesh Technology locks in moisture for 48 hours. This moisture can be accredited to the team effort of Vitamin E, Aloe Vera and Hyaluronic Acid which distribute hydration throughout skin. It also helps reduce Trans epidermal water loss which means those 8 glasses of water you drink everyday will actually start to show on your complexion.
A moisturizer that rebalances skin’s pH value and oil-water level for healthy comfortable skin is like a dream come true for combination skin. Innisfree Blueberry Rebalancing Cream is your ticket to releasing this dream thanks to the overpowering Blueberry extracts contained in it. These extracts rebalance oil and moisture without the feeling of heaviness or greasiness. The result? Smoother and firmer skin which stays calm and comfortable (RE: reduced breakouts or itchiness).
You can’t go wrong with this water based moisturizer for combination skin. Infused with Fruit water, Perenne Moisturisation Cream is light in texture and quickly soaks into your skin to give it a soft and dewy feel. Kiwi and Grapefruit extracts deeply hydrate skin to make dry patches a thing of the past. Oh and its innovative and natural formula won’t give you a reason to worry about clogged pores or breakouts. Plus, thanks to Chamomile extracts, soothing inflamed skin gets easier too.
When three naturally hydrating ingredients come together to coddle your skin, you know you can trust the formula. Biotique Bio Morning Nectar Visibly Flawless Skin Moisturizer, the ultimate moisture boost for combination skin includes Nectar (to nourish), Aloe Vera (to slow ageing), and Fenugreek Seeds (to replenish lost moisture). This ayurvedic blend sinks into skin to recreate a smoother complexion without exacerbating shine.
FAQs On Best Moisturizer For Combination Skin
1. How do you moisturize combination skin?
When choosing good moisturizers for combination skin, the key is to go for products with mattifying ingredients and oil-free base. This means Salicylic Acid, Hyaluronic Acid and Glycerin among others. If you are looking for a natural way to hydrate skin, apply Aloe Vera gel for best results.
Nykaa Recommends: Lakme Peach Milk Moisturiser SPF 24 PA++, Plum Green Tea Mattifying Moisturizer, Lakme 9 to 5 Naturale Aloe Aqua Gel
2. How do I know I have combination skin?
If your skin texture is not consistent throughout which means you have at least 2 different textures, you have a combination skin type. This could mean an oily T-zone and dry skin on the rest of your face.
3. What is the best skin care for combination skin?
- Since combination skin type includes characteristics of both oil and dry skin types, it’s wiser to care differently for the oilier and drier areas. This means avoid using the same product for the oily zones and the dry areas.
- Being precise in your application is key: opt for mattifying ingredients when tending to oily areas to keep excessive oiliness in check. Similarly, opt for essential oils and other emollients when tending to dry patches.
- Ensure you stay away from harsh ingredients that can irritate your skin. Stick to alcohol-free and fragrance-free products if you don’t want to deal with sudden breakouts or dryness.
- Exfoliating regularly will help eliminate accumulated dirt and impurities from surface of skin and will eventually make pores appear tighter and smaller. Opt for gentle exfoliators which won’t dry out your skin.
- Looking for a way to nix mid-day shine? Slip in a couple of blotting papers in your tote bag and simply dab them on the oily zones to absorb excess oil. This works as a great temporary fix.
- Don’t forget to use a moisturizer even on the oily areas of your face. You can invest in an oil-free moisturizer to prevent additional slickness in the oily parts.
- As cliché as it sounds, drinking eight glasses of water a day will help you with two things: preventing flaky skin and preventing the production of excess oil. So, more hydration means better-looking skin and less skin troubles to fix.