If you’re looking for an essential oil to transform your dull tresses, you can consider giving the good old eucalyptus oil a shot! Extracted from the leaves of the eucalyptus tree, which is native to Australia, eucalyptus essential oil is prepared by drying, crushing, and distilling the leaves. Easily identifiable by its strong, medicinal scent, eucalyptus oil is known for its curing and therapeutic properties. Relieving joint pain, healing wounds, and curing coughs— these are some of well-known medicinal eucalyptus oil uses. Lately, hair care too has been added to this list!
Why, you ask? Let’s find out!
Eucalyptus Oil Benefits For Hair
If you’ve found yourself wondering, “Is eucalyptus oil good for hair?”, the answer is a big fat yes! So, let’s look at why eucalyptus oil has emerged as such a crowd-favourite in the beauty industry.
- Eucalyptus oil is both a prevention and a cure for dandruff. It has unique antifungal and antiseptic properties that prevent any yeast-like fungus from developing and settling on the scalp. Use it with a suitable carrier oil and you won’t have to worry about your dandruff problems anymore!
- Regular use of eucalyptus oil can also keep scalp itching at bay!
- A popular eucalyptus oil benefit is that it reduces stress, and we all know the role stress plays in causing unexpected hair loss. Regular use of eucalyptus oil can not only reduce hair loss but also promote hair growth by nourishing the scalp and strands with nutrients important for healthy hair.
- Exposure to the sun, pollutants and dust can often render our hair dull and in need of hydration and shine. This is where eucalyptus oil comes in! Adding lustre and bounce to the hair is another eucalyptus oil benefit that can totally transform your locks for the better!
- Eucalyptus oil is a rich source of antioxidants. It also has natural anti-inflammatory properties which help protect the hair against intense damage.
- Issues like premature greying can be put to rest simply by including a bottle of eucalyptus oil in your weekly hair care routine.
- If your scalp often feels itchy and uncomfortable, then eucalyptus oil is the antidote you need. Its unique ability to calm and soothe the scalp has made it a popular product in the hair care industry.
- We are all well-aware of the kind of menace head lice can be! Which is why it’s beneficial to always have a small bottle of eucalyptus oil handy for emergency lice situations. Eucalyptus oil is a well-known remedy for lice infestations as well.
- Hair elasticity is a key factor in hair growth. Hair that isn’t elastic enough tends to split or break easily and get damaged. Well, eucalyptus oil to the rescue once again, as it’s known to increase hair elasticity.
How To Use Eucalyptus Oil On Hair
To make the most of all the eucalyptus oil benefits mentioned above, here’s how you can incorporate it in your regular hair care routine.
Step 1: Choose a carrier oil (Coconut or Castor Oil), take two tablespoons of it and heat it in a pan.
Step 2: Once it is warm enough, add 2-3 drops of Eucalyptus Essential Oil to it.
Step 3: Apply this mixture evenly to your hair and scalp.
Step 4: Gently massage it into the scalp. This will stimulate blood circulation.
Step 5: Let it rest for 30-60 minutes before washing it off with a shampoo and conditioner.
Best Eucalyptus Oil Products
Now that you know how to use eucalyptus oil, let’s look at the wide range of eucalyptus oil products available.
FAQs On The Use Of Eucalyptus Oil For Hair
1. Can I leave eucalyptus oil on my hair overnight?
Essential oils can be applied overnight, provided they do not cause any side effects. However, it is recommended that initially when you apply the oil to your scalp and hair, leave it on for a short duration of time. If it does not react adversely with your scalp, then you can apply the diluted version of it overnight.
2. Can you apply eucalyptus oil directly to the scalp?
You must not apply eucalyptus, or any other, essential oil directly to the scalp as essential oils are highly concentrated and may cause irritation. Ideally, mix a couple of drops of the essential oil with your choice of carrier oil. Coconut oil, jojoba oil, and castor oil are some examples of carrier oils. Apply the essential oil and carrier oil mixture on your scalp. Gently massage and let it get absorbed before rinsing it off with shampoo.
3. Is inhaling eucalyptus oil safe?
In the process of applying eucalyptus oil to your hair and scalp, you will inevitably end up inhaling it. Inhaling eucalyptus oil is perfectly safe. Essential oils like eucalyptus oil are often used for aromatherapy treatments.
4. What is the best way to use eucalyptus oil?
You can use eucalyptus oil in its essential oil form. This is one of the most popular ways of using it. However, recently, eucalyptus oil has become very popular in the hair care industry. Today, it is used as the primary ingredient in many hair care products like shampoos and conditioners. Depending on the kind of results you want, you can either choose to go for eucalyptus hot oil treatments or use it as a part of other hair care products.