Dark, rich lip colors have got a charm of their own. Not for the faint of heart, a swipe of an intensely dark hue keeps you looking hot even as the temperature drops. Ooh la la. Sure, it can seem intimidating and vampy at first but in one of those daring moments when you finally give in and wear a dark shade, you realize what you had been missing on all these years. Admittedly, that’s pretty much how many of us stumbled onto our first dark lipstick that made us look insanely cool. So, if you’re still a dark lipstick virgin looking to dip your toes in the sultry waters, we’ve got you covered.
Best Dark Lipstick Shades
We’ve whipped up a handful of dark lipsticks to get you started. Read on to find your pick.
If you love your reds and are looking to wear a deep hue as a centerpiece for your minimal evening date look, go for the SUGAR Matte Attack Transferproof Lipstick (Dark Red). As the name suggests, you don’t have to worry about leaving traces of your lip color on napkins and cups. The creamy formula settles to an opaque matte finish within a minute. Plus, it comes packed with Jojoba Oil that moisturizes lips so those annoying cracks on your colored lips can be a thing of the past.
A lippy with rich color-payoff that’s long lasting and refuses to move away from your lips? Yes, please! Miss Claire Long Lasting Matte Lipstick - 34 Dark Pink with its creamy texture seamlessly glides onto lips to keeps them matte and moisturized to shun the annoying cakey effect of regular mattes. Oh and you need not apply repeatedly to get the desired deep effect – one swipe is all it takes to transform your lips from basic to stunning.
The reason you won’t find purple on a lot of lips, is because it calls for confidence – oodles of it. So if you are way past dipping toes in the dark shades’ trend and are looking to further up the drama, opt for Dazller Eterna Superstay Lipstick - 910 Dark Plum. The perfect balance of creamy and moisturizing can comfortably take you from morning through night. Plus, it’s loaded with Almond, Avocado, Aloe Vera, Jojoba, and Avocado so you don’t have to worry about dry lips coming in the way of a pout-worthy look.
The dark coral brings together tints of red, orange and pink to create a stunning and universally flattering tone. If you are seeking a true-comfort wear, opt for Focallure Matte Liquid Lipstick - # 50 Dark Coral that boasts of a featherweight formula which intensifies as it sets to a matte, transfer-free finish. You get the best of both worlds – the color of a lip stain and shine of a lip gloss all with a hydrating finish. Pair this pout with kohl lined eyes to tune up the drama.
The dark brown is perfect for all the girls trotting the globe leaving a trail of their captivating mystery. A classic lip color, it lets you build up boldness with each swipe. The Colorbar Kissproof Lipstick - Dark Coco offers an intensely opaque and ultra-matte finish that doesn’t wear off as the night nears; besides, unlike its other peers, it promises to not dry out your lips thus, ensuring a comfortable all-day wear. Vegan and dermatologically tested, it checks all the boxes to make it to our cart.
Toeing the line between deep purple and pink is the dark mauve hue that makes a bold statement especially against fair complexion. Make Deborah Absolute Lasting Liquid Lipstick - 07 Dark Mauve your next buy if you are looking for a matte finish that says three things: saturated pigments, smooth texture and smudge-proof. Plus, its flocked brush applicator ensures the color wont spread beyond the lip line. Oh and did we tell you it comes with a hydrating gloss on the other end? Yes, this is a dream come true.
If two words, “warrior princess” sums you up, then we’ve found you your soulmate – Nykaa Matte To Last ! Liquid Lipstick - Maharani 02. It may be lightweight but it has a long-lasting stay power and doesn’t budge even on the sweatiest of days. Not only that, it’s enriched with the goodness of Vitamin E so you don’t have to worry about color pigments flaking or cracking. Although be warned, if looking hot were ever to be a crime, you’d be charged guilty!
How do you feel about slathering a delicious cocoa inspired hue on your pout? We thought so too. Pucker up with the Nykaa So Matte Lipstick - Chocolate Truffle 28M that is picked with rich pigments to deliver a gorgeous soft matte finish. Plus, it’s replete with conditioning Vitamin E which sets it apart from its chalky, lip-cracking peers. On and don’t be surprised if you watch it stay put even beyond sunset hours thanks to its extremely long wear formula.
Soft-yet-bold, the dark peach lipstick is perfect if you don’t want to fully commit to the dark trend. Nykaa Paintstix! Lipstick - Peaches n Cream 04 boasts of intense pigments that glide effortlessly on your lips to offer a saturated, matte finish in one stroke. Plus, the nourishing blend of Vitamin E and nutrient-infused Butter offers much-loved skincare. Oh and word of the mouth is this shade has the power to automatically make your teeth look whiter!
The problem with nude is it’s not quite noticeable which is where the dark nude shade comes in. Nykaa Wonderpuff Cushion Liquid Lipstick - Dream On packs the perfect punch to unleash your inner diva without looking overdone. This versatile hue with a buildable and smudge-proof formula ensures enough warmth so as to not wash out even the palest of complexion. The best part? You can even dab it onto your cheeks for a flush of color. Win win.
FAQs On Dark Lipsticks
1. Kindly share some tips to pull off dark lipstick.
- Dark shades give away dry lips like no other. So the first step to acing a dark hue is prepping your lips with a moisturizing balm. Regular exfoliation with a mild lip scrub will also help ensure a neater and smoother finish.
- If you don’t want the shade to appear too dark, blot your freshly colored lips with a tissue. This will help tone down the saturation level.
- For color results that appear as close to the color in the bullet, neutralize your natural lip color with a dab of foundation before you apply the lip shade.
- Using a lip liner is always a good move if you really want the dark lip shade to come off looking well. Opt for a lip liner with a shade similar to the lipstick.
- If you don’t want your teeth appearing yellow, choose dark lipsticks with blue undertones. The blue undertones make your pearly whites appear radiant.
- If you have thinner lips and don’t want the dark shade to make it appear smaller, you can always count on a lip gloss. Applying lip gloss at the centre of your pout makes it appear naturally fuller.
- The wrong dark shade can make your face appear tired. This is why it’s important to first check if the shade makes your face appear brighter or duller before you pick it for a permanent space in your makeup stash.
Nykaa Recommends: BLISCENT Cake Frosting Lip Scrub, Kiko Milano 3D Hydra Lipgloss, Faces Canada Ultime Pro Lip Definer.
2. Suggest dark lipsticks that will suit fair skin tone.
3. Suggest dark lipsticks that will suit medium skin tone.
4. Suggest dark lipsticks that will suit dusky skin tone.