Greasy strands are an unfortunate nightmare for many of us as they ruin the hairstyles. They may be easy to style but it tends to lose its style very quickly and becomes stingy and prone to dandruff. The problem of oily hair is mostly experienced by each one of us either occasionally or regularly. Some may get the problem genetically and some may get it occasionally caused by extensive use of hair styling products.
According to Dr. Varun Katyal, Consultant Dermatologist and Anti-Ageing Specialist, The Skin Centre, , “Oily or greasy hair is usually caused due to overactive sebaceous or oil glands in the scalp. Sebaceous glands provide moisturizing oils that help hair stay soft, elastic and manageable. A number of reasons can cause the sebaceous glands to become overactive and create excess sebum (the oil) and make the hair oily.”
But not to lose hope, we have solutions for your greasy hair troubles.
Say no to grease
But all is not lost. You are not doomed to a lifetime of unamageable, limp and oily hair. We’ve got a panel of experts to put together a list of fantastic tips to combat greasy hair and scalp. Along with Dr Katyal, we have Dr. Rohit Batra, Senior Dermatologist, Sir Ganga Ram Hospital, Sanjana Bhandari, Spa Manager, Vyoma Spa, makeover consultant Aashmeen Munjaal and Vanessa Fernandes, Senior Stylist, Bblunt.
These hair gurus reveal the following advices that we suggest you adopt immediately in your hair care routine
- Massage your scalp to promote blood circulation.
- Using a baby or daily shampoo won’t be of much help as they don’t provide much cleansing. Use a shampoo with only cleansing effect which removes excess grease. Use a shampoo containing sulphur, if you have dandruff.
Nykaa Recommends: L'Oreal Paris Extraordinary Clay Shampoo
- Use a conditioner containing silicones and hydrolyzed proteins.
Nykaa Recommends: Dove Hair Fall Rescue Conditioner
- Avoid washing your hair daily.
- Soak soap nuts in water overnight and mash them in the morning and drain out the water.
- Add a teaspoon of shikakai with it and condition your hair with the prepared gel.
Nykaa Recommends: Khadi Natural Shikakai Herbal Hair Cleanser
- Tea and lemon rinses may be good during the monsoons. Boil used tea leaves again, in enough water. Cool the liquid and use as a rinse after your shampoo.
Nykaa Recommends: Vaadi Herbals Dandruff Defense Lemon Shampoo With Extract Of Tea Tree
- Lemon juice can be added to a mug of water and used as a last rinse. A lemon rinse helps to reduce grease and also maintains normal balances. In fact, you can add the juice of a lemon to the tea rinse.
- Take henna and put the white part of egg and lemon, make a pack and put it for four hours and then wash it properly. It will give the shine and egg would remove extra oil.
Nykaa Recommends: Biotique Bio Henna Leaf Fresh Texture Shampoo & Conditioner
- Beer Rinse: Beer is very good for hair, it will make your hair texture smooth and silky and beer rinse extra oil from your head and give the shine to your hair.
Nykaa Recommends: The Body Care Beer Shampoo With Conditioner
- For an instant oil remover, wear socks on your hand and put talcum powder on it, rub your scalp with your fingertips. It will absorb all the oil from roots and make your scalp dry.
- Put after shave spray on your hair brush and then comb your hair to get non-sticky hair.
Nykaa Recommends: Forest Essentials After Shave Spray - Sandalwood & Orange Peel
- To give your oily hair a proper look you can try hair bands, stretch bands, side flowers bands which are trendy and will give you perfect look. One can also try ‘hello bands’ and tie them on the top of your head, it’s a new thing for this season.
- Side plaits or fish tails or messy buns can also be the good options and to accentuate it, you can go for quirky accessories.
- Limit brushing your hair, as this can stimulate the scalp and run sebum through your hair.
- Reduce fat and sugar in your diet: Eat a balanced and nutritious diet. Cut down on fried and oily foods, meat and carbonated beverages and opt for more vegetables and fruits.