Let’s be honest: There’s no one instruction manual when it comes to taking care of your curly hair. The bunch of contradicting tutorials you come across on your social media feed don’t really make things any easier either.
So, what do you do? Well, we have done our share of homework and to share everything you need to know to tame those rebellious curls into submission. All you have to do is scroll ahead and discover the missing pieces to fine-tune your existing hair care routine.
How To Style Naturally Curly Hair
If you have curly hair, you must’ve noticed the curls are prominent on the day you wash your hair until they gradually disappear into a chaos. A good routine can help you define your curls and make them last longer. Ready?
Step 1: Wash your hair with a clarifying curly hair shampoo like the Curl Up Curl Moisturising Shampoo. Massage the shampoo into the scalp using your fingertips and then work the lather towards the mid-lengths. After 2-3 minutes, rinse your hair with lukewarm water.
Step 2: Follow it up with a hydrating conditioner like BBLUNT Curly Hair Conditioner. Using the praying hands motion, spread the conditioner along the lengths of your hair. To detangle your hair and ensure uniform distribution of the conditioner, use a wide-toothed comb like the VEGA Wide Tooth Wooden Comb.
Step 3: After leaving it on for at least 8 minutes, rinse your hair with cold water. Pro tip: Leave 20-30% of the conditioner on your hair and don’t rinse it off completely.
Step 4: Next up, use a cotton T-shirt to absorb just the excess water from hair so your hair is not dripping wet.
Step 5: On wet hair, apply a leave-in conditioner for curly hair like Marc Anthony Strictly Curls Detangle & Defrizz Leave-In-Conditioner and lightly comb your hair with a wide-tooth comb.
Step 6: For curl definition, take a small amount of curling cream for hair like the Sebastian Professional Whipped Creme and rake it through your hair in sections. Scrunch your hair upward towards your roots to encourage the formation of curls.
Step 7: Now, flip your head upside down and wrap your hair in a microfiber towel like the Bronson Professional Hair Wrapper Towel. Release your hair after 15 minutes and allow it to air-dry. Your curls are now ready to steal the show!.
Best Curly Hair Creams
If you have been searching for a great curl defining cream, your search ends here. We’ve rounded up the best products for curly hair definition.
Here’s a lowdown on how to maintain your curls for a longer period before your next wash.
- Curly hair tends to be dry and frizzy compared to its straighter counterparts. Since, shampoos when used in excess can rob your hair of existing moisture, it helps to dilute your shampoo with a few drops of water before use. Doing so ensures you don’t use much of this drying product on your curls.
- Pamper your scalp once a week to a deep conditioning hair mask treatment before you shampoo. This will tackle frizz and make your hair strands smoother.
- Curly hair is not meant to be combed every day. There we said it. Between washes, limit brushing your hair as this will help your natural curl pattern last longer. If you do have to comb, switch to a wide-toothed comb which makes it easier to detangle curly hair.
- Do you still sleep on a cotton pillowcase? Swap it with a silk pillow cover as it will considerably reduce the friction between your hair strands which is responsible for the early morning frizz.
- The moment you braid or tie your hair into a ponytail, the curl pattern begins to break. The best mid-day hairstyle for when you want to tie up your hair is the pineapple updo. This keeps your hair away from the face without disturbing the curl pattern.
- When it comes to drying curly hair, avoid the traditional method of rubbing hair with a towel as it can cause friction and can encourage frizz. Instead, pick an old cotton t-shirt and simply pat your hair dry to absorb the excess water.
- Olive oil works great for curly hair. Simply massage this oil into your scalp and rinse after an hour. Oiling your hair regularly will help boost circulation and hair growth.
- Sulfates can be dehydrating which is why it’s necessary to keep away from shampoos or conditioners that contain sulfates. Opt for sulfate-free products so the moisture content of your hair is maintained.
FAQs On Curl Definition
1. What are the best curly hair shampoos?
- LOreal Professionnel X-Tenso Care Pro-Keratine + Incell Shampoo
- Schwarzkopf Professional Bonacure Keratin Smooth Perfect Micellar Shampoo
- WOW Skin Science Apple Cider Vinegar Shampoo