Here’s a fact: An onion a day may keep people away, but it will ensure your hair stays thick and strong. Now, who wouldn’t want that? After all, this pungent flavored vegetable is quite nutrient dense – strong enough to treat bald spots, nourish scalp and add shine to your tresses.
Packed with sulfur – the key component in keratin (the building block of human hair) – onion oil is your answer to all things hair; and when we say that we even mean for those eyebrows that you’ve been struggling to grow since a year. Read on to know if you are only one step away from enviable and lustrous mane.
Benefits Of Onion Oil
- Onion oil is loaded with antioxidants which work with certain enzymes for preventing hair fall. Plus, it helps optimize the hair growth cycle and gradually treat mild cases of alopecia.
- Enriched with sulfur, this magical potent prevents the formation of split ends and thereby reduces hair breakage. The sulfur also works at nourishing follicles and encouraging a healthy hair regrowth.
- The nutrients present in onion oil help prevent oxidation of hair whilst also maintaining the pH balance of hair. The last bit helps avoid premature greying.
- It does an incredible job at nourishing your scalp and improving blood circulation which ensures thicker hair growth.
- It’s an ideal remedy for anyone suffering from infections or dandruff as regular use of this anti-bacterial oil improves scalp hygiene.
- Onion oil can work as a conditioning agent prior to shampooing. It controls frizz and prevents dryness.
- You can mix onion oil with any other carrier oil, such as almond oil or coconut oil for combined benefits.
How To Make Onion Oil At Home
Here’s the DIY onion hair oil recipe so you can whip up this magic oil at home.
Step 1: Peel onions and slice them in halves. Toss a part of the onions into an electric juice extractor and blend to form onion juice.
Step 2: Put the rest of the onions in a grinder and extract onion paste.
Step 3: In a saucepan, pour coconut oil in it. Then add the onion juice and onion paste in the saucepan. Stir the mixture well.
Step 4: Turn on the stove and let the concoction boil. After the first time it boils, lower the heat and simmer it until oil remains. Don’t forget to keep stirring.
Step 5: Now, once the oil is ready leave the pan to cool down for a few hours.
Step 6: Next, take a muslin cloth and strain the onion oil. Preserve this oil in an airtight jar and use whenever required.
Since the efficacy of onion oil starts reducing after six months so, it’s best to utilize the oil within 6 months to maximize on the benefits. The shelf life, however, of onion oil is a good 3 years.
Best Onion Oil For Hair
We’ve rounded up the best onion oils for hair organized by various concerns.
FAQs On Best Onion Oil For Hair
1. Recommend onion herbal hair oil for daily use.
- TNW The Natural Wash Onion Hair Oil for Hair Growth With Complete Hair Nourishment
- Upakarma Ayurveda Onion Black Seed Hair Oil
- Globus Naturals Onion Hair Oil
- Avnii Organics Natural Onion Hair Oil
2. Suggest best onion hair oil for hair growth.
- Wild Organic Onion Hair Oil
- AromaMusk Red Onion Hair Growth Oil
- Biotique Advanced Organics Onion Black Seed Hair Oil
- Trycone Onion Vitamin E Hair Oil
3. Please recommend ways to get rid of the onion smell that comes with applying onion oil regularly.
- Rinse your hair with a citrusy shampoo. The citric acid with its low acidity levels works at breaking the molecules that cause odor. So, invest in a lemon, grapefruit or orange based shampoo.
- Rinse your hair with diluted Apple Cider Vinegar solution which will cleanse your hair and get rid of the lingering onion smell. Alternatively, you can also invest in an ACV shampoo.