Anyone who’s ever experienced dandruff, knows it’s more than just something ‘white’ in your hair; it’s a major inconvenience. Besides the pain of finding tiny white flecks on your shoulders (god forbid if you’re wearing black), a dry, itchy scalp is never ever fun to begin with. While a seasonal flaky scalp is somewhat normal in drier weather, yeast or fungus triggered scalp issues bring their own host of problems including irritation, boils and hair fall.
Luckily, along with the plethora of anti-dandruff products available in the market, there are quite a few, super-simple home remedies that you can whip up, to fight the flakes. Plus, these natural ingredients are much gentler on your scalp, unlike some of the harsher formulations out there!
So whether you have seasonal dandruff or a perennial dry scalp, scroll down below for some of the best home remedies to get rid of dandruff permanently. Suffice to say they work like a charm.
Ingredient: Apple Cider Vinegar
Why: By restoring the pH balance of the scalp, Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) inhibits the growth of yeast. It also works as a natural hair clarifier and helps clean clogged pores and hair follicles.
- Mix two cups of apple cider vinegar with three cups of cold water and use this mixture to rinse your hair, post shampooing.
- Let it sit for two minutes before washing it out. For best results, use this once a week.
Ingredient: Baking Soda
Why: Exfoliant for hair? Yes, please. Baking Soda sloughs off all the dead skin cells and absorbs excess oil for squeaky clean scalp. What’s more, it also prevents the growth of fungi that leads to dandruff.
- Rub a handful of baking soda onto your wet scalp.
- After a couple of minutes, rinse your hair well with warm water; no shampoo necessary.
Why: Yep, you read that right. Onion has strong anti-microbial properties that makes it an ideal ingredient for banishing dandruff. Plus, we love the fact that is improves blood circulation to the scalp and flushes out the toxins.
- Start by blending a large onion until you get a smooth paste. Starting at the roots, apply this paste to your hair and work your way down to the tips.
- Keep this on for about 60 minutes and wash your hair with a mild sulfate-free shampoo. Adios, icky dandruff!
Ingredient: Coconut Oil
Why: Known for its anti-fungal properties, Coconut Oil moisturizes dry scalps and tackles itchiness like a pro. Plus, it nourishes your hair and boosts hair growth. Do we need say more?
- For a potent anti-dandruff remedy, combine equal parts coconut oil and lemon juice together and massage on your scalp. Shampoo after 20 mins. Voilà, a dandruff-free scalp in a jiffy.
- Shampoo after 20 mins. Voilà, a dandruff-free scalp in a jiffy.
Why: Garlic is a rich source of salicylic acid, a common ingredient used for the treatment of dandruff. Mix this with honey (that has strong antimicrobial properties), and you will have a winner in your hands.
- Crush the garlic cloves in a bowl and let it sit for a few minutes.
- Next, add honey and mix it together. Apply the mixture to your scalp and hair and leave it in for about 5-10 minutes.
- Rinse the hair mask out and wash your hair with a mild shampoo.
Ingredient: Tea Tree Oil
Why: Tea Tree Oil has long been used to treat dandruff, owing to its potent cleansing and anti-fungal properties. A classic anti-dandruff treatment if there was one.
- Add six drops of Tea Tree Oil to half a cup of essential oil (such as Lavender), and massage on your scalp before shampooing to get rid of dandruff.
- You can also add a few drops to your regular shampoo to make it into an all-natural anti-dandruff shampoo.
SPOT IT. SHOP IT.