Dewy, luminous skin is always on trend, but theres something so sophisticated about a flawless, matte finish. Who wants to gleam and glow when you can be always look on trend? From matte skin to lips, shimmer-free makeup has never been hotterbut we admit, breaking into all matte everything can be intimidating.
You might think the only way to achieve a matte makeup look is by using lots of powder. You couldn’t be more wrong! What you need to do is prep your skin before applying makeup. It turns out that with the right skin care routine and great mattifying makeup products, you can get radiant skin with minimal luster and a fresh, non-greasy, natural look all at one go! Consider this your ultimate guide on how to wear matte makeup, and look gorgeous while doing it
Here’s how to achieve the Matte Makeup Look:
- While it’s not the most exciting part of the whole routine, it is the crucial one! First, cleanse, tone and moisturize your skin well so that your makeup glides on and stays on. Applying makeup on dry, flaky skin is guaranteed to give you a ‘cakey-pancake face’. Get your skin makeup ready with an oil-free moisturizer (Neutrogena Oil-Free Moisture Combination Skin) followed by a matte primer base (Revlon PhotoReady Perfecting Primer) both on the eye lids and the face for creating a smooth, flawless base.
- Next comes an oil-free foundation (NYX Stay Matte But Not Flat Foundation Liquid) for a velvety, smooth, grease-free base. For that lovely, Instagram airbrushed look use a round, flat-topped makeup brush or a beauty blender in a circular motion to diffuse the matte foundation evenly. Spot apply a color corrector like Maybelline New York Fit Me Matte + Poreless Foundation followed by a concealer (Makeup Revolution Ultra Cover and Conceal Palette) if necessary, using your fingers to pat and blend. Dont forget to blend well! Set your base with a loose powder like L.A. Girl Pro Conceal HD to get a velvety texture. Skip if you have really dry skin.
- Define your L.A. Girl Pro Conceal HD face with subtle contouring and highlight with a matte bronzer and highlighter (Makeup Revolution Iconic Pro Blush, Bronze and Brighten) to add a radiant glow sans shimmer. Liven up cheeks with a matte pink or peach blush.
- For defined, yet natural eye brows, use an eyeshadow or eye brow filler like Rimmel Eye Brow Pencil that matches your hair color and defines your eyebrows to create a subtle arched look.
- For subtle, smoky eyes, sweep a light-colored brown eyeshadow (Maybelline New York The Nudes Eyeshadow Palette) from lash line to brow bone. Dust a medium-toned shade on the lower lid, up to the crease, to add definition. Finish the look with a matte eyeliner and mascara for fuller lashes. We used Maybelline New York Hyper Matte Liquid and Revlon Bold Lacquer By Grow Luscious Length & Volume Water Proof Mascara - Blackest Black.
- Complete the look with a bright, matte lipstick shade like NYX Matte Lipstick that flatters your face and gives the perfect dazzle for a day out!
Prep and Prime
Ace Your Base
Brows on Point
Rock Matte Lips
Voila! The easiest matte makeup look. Did we say you can now slay the DRA-MATTE look!