Through night and day, good and bad, pizza and beer, all you need is a lipstick that stays with you. We don’t demand a forever. We’re saying STAY even when you scarf down the messiest of your fav food. Afterall, there ain’t anything appealing about your lipstick traveling all over your face and onto your pizza slice, innit? Well, the good news is we have just the right fix for this. Meet the one who can outlive everything from passionate kisses to messy ungraceful foods, the liquid lipstick. Bring it closer to your lips and your pout will thank you forever!
If you’ve always been loyal to the matte bullets and are afraid to take the dip, trust us you don’t need liquid courage to swipe right on liquid lipsticks. Let us show you why.
What We Love about Liquid Lipsticks
- Ditch the lip-liner already
If feathering lipstick is you pet peeve, a liquid lipstick makes it easier to achieve a well-defined lip outline. And yes, it glides like a gloss. Cue for the humble lip-liner to get some rest.
- What touch ups?
Give it a minute to melt into your lips and once it’s set, it’s set for the day. Yep, that’s right. No more mid-day touch ups. Be pout ready all through the day.
- Stays with you a.k.a. transfer-proof
They don’t budge, just like your boss. Drink and kiss all you want. We’re talking zero stain transfers on both your cocktail glass and your bae’s lips. (Because leaving lipstick stains is so not 2020!)
- Unparalleled color payoff
Know the struggles of swiping the bullet stick across your lips? One coat of a liquid lipstick is enough to achieve an opaque look as it’s formulated to be highly pigmented.
- Irresistibly buildable
Want your shade to look more intense? Simply apply a second and third coat to your lips. Want a lighter finish for a softer everyday look? Simply blot with a tissue paper and you’re good to go. All of this with just one liquid lipstick!
We know it can be intimidating. It shouldn’t be, but sometimes it is. So here’s a quick guide that takes care of your anxiety-riddled questions on applying liquid lipstick the right way.
How to apply Liquid Lipstick
- Step 1: Before you reach out to your liquid lipstick, first exfoliate your lips with a lip scrub. We’re basically buffing away any flakes.
- Step 2: Now prep your lips with a lip primer. This will help create a smooth base so the product doesn’t settle into fine lines or cling to dry patches.
- Step 3: Pick your liquid lipstick applicator and starting from the center of your upper lips work towards the outer edges trailing the contours of your mouth.
- Step 4: Next, glide the applicator across your lower lips to paint a thin layer.
- Step 5: For a more intense look, re-apply a second coat once the first coat has dried.
Now since we know you can never have too many lippies in your stash, here’s our round-up of our favourite liquid lipsticks that will make your life oh-so-easier.
Best Liquid Lipstick shades
1. Red Liquid Lipstick
i. Maybelline New York Super Stay Matte Ink Liquid Lipstick – Ambitious
This one’s not going anywhere. Once you put it on, the longevity is straight-up wild.
Think full-coverage in one swipe which dries down to an immovable matte yet doesn’t feel uncomfortable on your lips. It has a league of its own because it can withstand a lot. We are dead serious when we say it’ll stay so long it’ll freak you out. Bring on the beers.
ii. Colorbar Kiss Proof Lip Stain - Blush Crush – 004
We consider this lip stain as the perfect partner for vacay lips as it can last as long as 12 hours. Also thanks to Vitamin E it keeps your lips moisturized. Psst! We just checked the only page in Your guide to pretty lips and it says just one swipe of this liquid lipstick that glides on like velvet and dries to matte is all the trick you need to know. Oui, oui! You look beautiful.
2. Brown Liquid Lipstick
i. SUGAR Smudge Me Not Liquid Lipstick - 35 Radiant Currant
This lip stain is an ode to the women who ain’t scared of the dark hues. The SUGAR Smudge Me Not Liquid Lipstick - 35 Radiant Currant helps you re-create that "Ready to dive back into the 90s" look that we all occasionally crave for. It’s loaded with pigment and yet feels pillowy on lips while the color commits to cling onto them even after your evening date.
ii. Nykaa Matte To Last ! Liquid Lipstick - Madras-Kaapi 05
Well, this baby is inspired by your favorite brew. Just as you like your coffee, its deep drown brown shade is made strong to diffuse a rich color on your lips that can last all day. Full-coverage? Check. Long lasting? Check. And it’s even cheaper than the brekkie you would want it to last through. What’s not to love? Brb. One kaapi please.
3. Pink Liquid Lipstick
i. Lakme Forever Matte Liquid Lip Colour - Fuschia Chic
Looking somewhere to start? The Lakme Forever Matte Liquid Lip Colour - Fuschia Chic comes with a specially designed tiny applicator that’s easy to maneuver and makes precise application a breeze. The formula has a lot of body and dries down to a comfy matte. The only caveat? Once set, it won’t budge an inch.
ii. L'Oreal Paris Rouge Signature Matte Liquid Lipstick - 105 I Rule
The hype on this one is real. It’s a boldly pigmented lip stain with a long-wear oil-in-water formula that battles your daily struggles with you. We’re talking no smudging and flaking while your lips can breathe easy with this ultra-light wear. Swipe on for date nights by the poolside.
4. Nude Liquid Lipstick
i. Chambor Extreme Wear Transferproof Liquid Lipstick – 485
It’s so creamy, you could eat it. The color payoff is excellent as it is loaded with concentrated pigments that offer an incredible color to your lips in a creamy matte finish. Besides, the doe-foot applicator makes swiping the shade in just one stroke an easy do. P.S. you can avoid the dreaded crumbliness with this lip stain. We can attest to that.
ii. L'Oreal Paris Infallible Pro Matte Liquid Lipstick - 354 Nudist
For someone who loves their neutrals, one swipe and you will fall in love with this guy. It has a staying power of upto 16 hours (work to party: check). Now if you must know, this formula dries off quickly (good if you’re in a hurry, bad if you’re still a noob at applying lipstick)—although it’s pro-sculpt applicator aids precise application. Infallible, if you will.
FAQs on Liquid Lipsticks
1. What are some of the popular liquid lipstick shades?
Some of the best liquid lipstick shades include:
2. What are some tips for applying and removing liquid lipstick?
- Make sure your lips are exfoliated and moisturized before you apply a liquid lipstick. This helps create a smooth base.
- Don’t give in to the temptation of rubbing your lips together after applying lipstick. You don’t want a patchy result.
- Dip a cotton swab in cold cream to wipe off any excess lip stain outside your lip lines.
- Avoid applying lip balms that contain natural oils to coat over your liquid lipstick. Instead start with a matte lip balm underneath to keep your lips hydrated before you put on lipstick.
- Liquid lipstick may be tricky to remove in a single swipe. (probably the very reason you fell for it at the first place). Tthat’s why it’s advised that you gently wipe it off with an oil-based makeup remover.