Being a woman is hard sometimes. Every month our cycles make us cranky, bloated, irritated, and moody. Cramps, nerve-pulls, our muscles get sore, and nausea and fever become our most unwanted visitors. As if these weren’t enough, hormones kick us in our guts, spilling all kinds of breakouts on our faces!
Acne, pus-filled cysts, whiteheads, and blackheads, you name it—we’ve seen it all. But how are these ‘hormonal breakouts’ different than general pimples? These are caused by the imbalance in our estrogen, progesterone, and testosterone—all of which fluctuate often during our cycles. So, if these breakouts show up once every month and if they are concentrated on your jawline, chances are that they are hormonal. Fear not, you can combat these pesty warriors with some super ingredients that will not only help avoid breakouts and stubborn scars but also prep your skin for your next cycle!
COMBAT WITH HORMONAL BREAKOUTS:
- Make dietary changes. Sugars, dairy products, and red meat can cause breakouts. Try and replace these with as many greens and natural sugars as you can like fruits.
- Try and include detoxifying ingredients in your food like green tea, apple cider vinegar, and lemons so your skin is prepared to fight toxifying agents that can stir up your hormones.
- ALWAYS do a patch test before using a product. Your skin could be reacting to the products you are currently using.
- Use non-comedogenic products that won’t clog your pores. Along with hormonal fluctuations, your skincare products could be aiding in the breakouts.
- Check with a doctor if you should control your hormones with birth control pills. Your cycle may be irregular or your hormone production may be inconsistent which could also lead to you facing severe breakouts.