If your skin is easily irritated and prone to rashes or breakouts, you most likely have sensitive skin.. As you might have realised by now, anything from weather changes to chemical irritants can trigger a flare up in sensitive skin. So, unlike your other privileged sisters (having high degree of tolerance towards external agents) you can’t afford to be sloppy with your skin care routine. This is especially true in case of cleansing your skin lest you wanna invite skin troubles. Does this mean there’s nothing out there to keep your skin calm and happy? Absolutely not.
Now, we’re not gonna lie: Living with sensitive skin does narrow down your pool of choices when it comes to choosing products like even face washes. This simply means you have to get used to reading labels and being mindful of your choices. To make it easier, we’ve rounded up the best cleansers for sensitive skin with some helpful tips.
Best Face Washes For Sensitive Skin
When sensitive skin is not pampered, it easily shows in the form of pigmentation or pimples. Nykaa Naturals Saffron & Honey Face Wash for Glowing Skin packed with a nourishing blend of Saffron and Honey heals, cools and purifies skin to restore its glow. The antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties of the ingredients fight breakouts to clear skin from within. We love how its gentle refining action suitable for sensitive skin helps reveal a healthier glow.
How do you know a face wash is perfect for oily and sensitive skin? The formula removes excess oil and dirt without aggravating skin or affecting its moisture levels. Cheryl's Cosmeceuticals SensiWash with its strong anti-inflammatory and anti-allergic properties, improves complexion whilst balancing moisture content. Aloe Vera, Portulaca and Canadian Willow extracts in this face wash for sensitive oily skin team up to soothe troubled skin without damaging the skin barrier.
Infused with the natural goodness of Neem, Sandalwood and Honey, Just Herbs Silksplash Neem-Orange Rehydrant Face Wash eliminates the last traces of dust, grime and make-up residue without disrupting skin’s natural moisture barrier. Free form all the sketchy ingredients like petrochemicals, parabens or SLS, this cleanser leaves your skin feeling fresh and hydrated with a single rinse.
Imagine splashing your face with Aloe juice. Refreshing, innit? Plum Hello Aloe Skin Loving Face Wash gives you this very experience while leaving your skin soft, hydrated and refreshed. Free from paraben and mineral oils, this mild cleanser is perfectly formulated to visibly improve your skin’s texture in a couple of washes. Plus, if you are all about the green revolution, you will love this one as it comes in a totally recyclable packaging.
The concoction of Rose and Milk feels as soothing on skin as it sounds. NIVEA Milk Delights Face Wash Rose proves just that with its formula strong enough to clear impurities and gentle enough to not upset the skin. Rose water works at reducing redness or irritation while Milk cleanses skin to leave it supple and smooth. P.S. Don’t get carried away by how delicious it smells because sadly, it’s not edible.
If you’ve got sensitive skin, listen up: All you need is a detoxifying facewash that actually eliminates excess sebum and purifies skin whilst respecting the cutaneous balance like Bioderma Sebium Gel Moussant does. The non-comedogenic formula of this best face wash for sensitive acne prone skin clears complexion, limits sebum secretion and keeps pores from getting blocked which means fewer breakouts. Also, thanks to its soap-free cleansing base, it doesn’t strip the skin of its natural oils. Think of it as a rejuvenating pick-me-up for tired and sensitive skin.
It’s totally understandable if you are wary of using dedicated scrubs on your sensitive skin lest it triggers breakouts. Well, you can still get the benefits of a scrub with the Aroma Magic White Tea & Chamomile Face Wash while still treating your skin with gentle care. White Tea and Soy Milk extracts infused with exfoliating micro beads deeply clears your pores and buffs away dead skin cells sans any skin barrier damage. Besides, Chamomile essential oil calms troubled skin to leave it feeling relaxed. Your skin will definitely thank you.
If taking care of sensitive skin isn’t tricky enough, dealing with pimples can be a whole new task. Himalaya Herbals Purifying Neem Face Wash makes it easier to take care of sensitive and acne-prone skin by eliminating bacteria from within thanks to the antibacterial properties of Neem. The Turmeric extracts contained in this mild face wash for sensitive skin even out skin tone to lend a radiant glow. Oh and unlike average cleansers, this one won’t leave your skin feel parched and tight. Now, that’s a relief.
Taking Care Of Sensitive Skin
- We are all aware of this but it is in moments of weakness (for example: an irresistible scent) that we end up choosing products that can do more harm than good to sensitive skin. Ensure you always pick products that are hypoallergenic, non-comedogenic, fragrance free, soap free and doesn’t contain any sketchy ingredients like parabens, etc.
- Harsh exfoliation is a definite no-no. Opt for mild exfoliators that will gently remove dead skin cells without disrupting your skin’s protective barrier.
- Pay attention to individual triggers that cause your skin to go crazy with bumps or rashes. Whether it’s the recently purchased perfume or simply extreme sun exposure, once you recognise the reason, take measures to avoid it.
- Make it a habit to perform a patch test on a small area of your skin before you go ahead and apply the product regularly. For example, if you are trying a new moisturiser, apply it on your skin and wait until 48 hours to see if your skin reacts.
- Thanks to your genes, you can’t really alter the sensitivity levels of your skin. It is what it is. However, poor diet plays a major role in further increasing skin sensitivity or causing adverse reactions. Ensure you stay hydrated with 8 glasses of water daily and consume fresh juices and fruits to improve gut health and thus, skin health.
- Consider switching to scent-free facial wipes instead of using harsh cotton towels to rub your face when outdoors. The facial wipes would be a lot gentler on skin and won’t cause as much friction.
- Skip alcohol based toners. What’s the alternative, you ask? Rose water works effectively as a natural toner too.
FAQs On Best Cleanser For Sensitive Skin
1. What is the best face wash for sensitive skin?
Milky, creamy cleansers brimming with natural ingredients are the best cleansers for sensitive skin. Foaming formulas contain sodium lauryl sulfate which can be harsh on sensitive skin so stay away from such formulations.
Nykaa Recommends: Christine Valmy Dermafluide Sensitive Skin Cleanser, Plum Green Tea Pore Cleansing Face Wash
2. Is Cetaphil good for sensitive skin?
Yes. Cetaphil face wash for sensitive skin is popular because it has a deep-pore cleansing action that doesn’t dry out skin and maintains the pH balance. It is also non-comedogenic which means it doesn’t clog pores and is soap-free. It’s ideal for gentle cleansing which is essential in the case of sensitive skin.
Nykaa Recommends: Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser
3. What all should be avoided in case of sensitive skin?
Fragrance, essential oils, harsh exfoliants, and Sodium lauryl sulfate are a few skin care ingredients which should ideally be avoided if you have sensitive skin. Also, it’s safer to opt for mineral sunscreens than chemical sunscreens. Mineral sunscreens mainly contain titanium dioxide or zin oxide as active ingredients and physically block the UV rays. Chemical sunscreens on the other hand contain a combination of active ingredients that absorb the UV rays to release it as heat after a chemical reaction.