Sunscreen happens to be the most understated skincare product, although it is simply non-negotiable. It is the most basic yet essential part of any beauty arsenal, just like the mandatory lip balm.
Tanning as a result of over-exposure to the sun is a gradual process, and we realize the aftermath only after the damage becomes visible. Unless you are ready to embrace skin tanning, darkening, hyperpigmentation and premature aging, we recommend you begin the search for your SPF soulmate right now.
Sun Protection for Different Skin Types
Sunscreen has been around for years, yet it has the reputation for being the most neglected product. We get it, figuring out the right sunscreen cream that doesn’t make the face feel greasy or look flaky white is challenging. The sunblock that works well for your friend won’t necessarily work well for you too. If you are yet to figure out your skin fam, allow us to walk you through the identifying characteristics of each skin type.
- Dry Skin Type: Barely visible pores, rough texture, less elastic skin, few red patches, visible lines
- Oily Skin Type: Enlarged pores, shiny texture, pimples, blackheads
- Combination Skin Type: Visible pores, blackheads, oily T-zone and dry cheeks
Every skin type demands a sun protection formula that doesn’t trigger its downsides. Like how you’re wreaking havoc on your already oily skin by applying an oil-based sun protection cream. We’ve rounded up the best sunscreens for you skin type because life without sunburns feels real good, trust us.
Best Sunscreen For Dry Skin
If rough and dry skin is your arch nemesis and you are always on the lookout for a moisturizer, pick a hydration packed sunblock cream.
Get instant protection from harsh sun rays with NIVEA Protect and Moisture Sun Lotion SPF 50, the best sunscreen lotion for women. The fast-absorbing formula with advanced collagen protection in this sunscreen lotion also helps prevent wrinkles. The non-greasy and non-oily formula is water-resistant, making it a perfect mate to battle the sun rays on a sweaty or rainy day. It also works as the best sunscreen lotion for oily skin.
With broad-spectrum protection and SPF 50 PA+++, Lakme Sun Expert is one of the best sunscreens that glides on effortlessly and seeps into your skin with its ultra-matte texture. This lightweight sunscreen for dry skin is perfect to wear under daily make-up. The next time you wonder how to protect the skin from sun, opt for some of the best sunscreens available in the Lakme range.
This sunscreen offers dual benefits of sun protection and moisturization for smoother skin. What’s even better is its non-greasy and lightweight formula that is instantly absorbed into the skin and stays for long. Moreover, it’s oil-free formula does not clog pores, thus avoiding any skin breakouts.
Best Sunscreen For OILY Skin
Oily skin demands the most lightweight and matte formulas, for the product to last all day long.
Say goodbye to skin darkening, sunburns and age spots with Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch Sunblock. This best sunscreen for women has an oil-free formula that feels light on your skin while providing broad spectrum protection from the harmful UVA and UVB rays of the sun. Moreover, this sunscreen for oily skin gets instantly absorbed into your skin, leaving it soft and smooth.
Nykaa Recommends: Neutrogena UltraSheer Dry Touch Sunblock SPF 50+
Protect your skin from the harsh rays of the sun with La Shield Sunscreen Gel SPF 40. Fortified with SPF 40 and PA+++, it offers superior broad spectrum protection against both ultraviolet A (UVA) and ultraviolet B (UVB) rays. Consisting of an oil-free, non-greasy formulation, this sunscreen glides easily on skin giving it a long-lasting matte effect. This light-wear comfort puts the fun back into being in the sun.
Nykaa Recommends: La Shield Sunscreen Gel SPF 40
This lightweight sunscreen is loaded with the goodness of Green Tea, SPF 35 and PA+++. Its gel-based formula works effectively for oily and acne prone skin. What makes it even better is that it does not contain Parabens, Phthalates, Propylene, Glycol, Sodium Lauryl Sulphate (SLS), DEA, PABA and animal-derived ingredients.
Nykaa Recommends: Plum Green Tea Day-Light Sunscreen Gel SPF 35 PA+++
Best Sunscreen For Combination Skin
If you have combination skin, you have greater sunscreen choices as your skin type is a blend of the other two skin types.
Lotus Herbals Safe Sun 3-in-1 Matte Look Daily Sun Block PA+++ SPF-40 is a tinted moisturiser, sun block and skin lightener, all in one. This 3-in-1 daily sun block is a revolutionary sun protection formulation with skin lightening ingredients that give a uniform matte finish to your skin. The fast absorption and non-greasy formula of this sunscreen for combination skin ensure a shine-free, light and clean feel.
Nykaa Recommends: Lotus Herbals Safe Sun 3-in-1 Matte-Look Daily Sun Block Pa+++ SPF- 40
Mamaearth's Ultra-Light Indian Sunscreen with SPF 50 is specially curated for Indian skin tones. It is the best sunscreen for face as it doesn't dry out your skin and keeps it moisturised, without making it patchy. The inclusion of Turmeric treats tan and keeps your skin glowing whereas Orange oil increases skin's ability to absorb the sunscreen cream, making it non-oily. Go natural with the best sunscreen lotion!
Nykaa Recommends: Mamaearth Ultra Light India Sunscreen SPF50 PA+++ With Turmeric & Carrot Seed
Enriched with notes of Helichrysum, Calendula and Roman Chamomile essential oils, this paraben-free sunscreen mattifies skin. It has a non-greasy formulation, and includes the goodness of Carrortseed, Wheat Germ and Jojoba Oil. The Green Tea extracts promote elasticity and prevent visible signs of aging. No reason why you this shouldn’t be a part of your sun protection kit.
Nykaa Recommends: Aroma Magic Sunblock Lotion SPF++30 UVA/UVB
Additional Tips On How to Protect Skin From Sun
If you think you can skip the sun cream just because you’re indoors, sorry to burst your bubble. Although normal glass windows can block UVB rays, UVA rays still make through and can damage bare skin. Apart from slathering on sunscreen, here are a few more tips to help escape the blazing sun.
- Go for clothes that cover maximum parts of your body for sun protection. Ultraviolet Protection Factor (UPF) clothing provides the best sun defense.
- Choose hand gloves for sun protection, especially when riding a bike as the constant exposure to the harsh sun makes it is the most vulnerable cause of sunburn.
- When outdoors, wear sunglasses that offer 100 percent UV ray protection. Wrap-around sunglasses block UV rays even from the sides and are thus, more effective.
- Prefer dark clothing with tightly woven fabric as it blocks the sun rays better than white or loosely woven fabrics. Polyester, Rayon, Denim and Corduroy are a few sun safe choices.
- Consider carrying an oversized umbrella that provides shade from the scorching heat. This is an ideal solution for the ones who want to avoid sun protection methods that include wearing or applying something.
- When outside, prefer standing under shade whenever you can. Choose to walk on the shaded footpath rather than open road. This would limit your exposure to the sun.
- Spruce up your diet with antioxidants and foods that back sun protection. These include, Watermelon, Tomato, Carrot, Broccoli, Blueberry, Almond, Pomegranate, Sweet Potato and Dark Chocolate.
- Avoid reflective surfaces, such as water and sand as they reflect a high percentage of sun rays and are thus, more damaging to exposed skin.
- Indulge in swimming in the late evening hours when the sun has receded to avoid sunburn.
- Accessories, such as hats and scarves work well at protecting you from the sun while adding to the style element. If you commute regularly during the morning hours, pick a scarf and comfortably wrap it around your head and face for better refuge from the sun.
- Limit exposure to the sun between the hours 10:00 AM and 4:00 PM as that is when the sun's rays are the most damaging. Try planning your travel schedules to avoid direct exposure to the sun during this period of the day.
- Certain medications make you more sensitive to sunlight. Check for the side-effects of your current medications and prepare yourself accordingly.
- Make it a habit to drink at least ten glasses of water to keep your skin hydrated and reduce the extent of harm caused by the sun.
- Apply Buttermilk to get instant relief from sun burn after unavoidable exposure to the sun. The natural bleaching properties of Curd will help lighten tan.
- If you are running late and forget to apply sunscreen, you can apply Aloe Vera gel directly on the exposed body to soothe the burnt skin as soon as possible.