Given that Ultra Violet is the color of the year, it’s only fair that every shade of purple, from lilac and lavender to violet and purple in all its glory is having a resurgence. And you don’t have to be Rihanna to sport a purple pout. Anyone can. Think of it as the maang teeka of beauty trends. You think it looks gorgeous on other women but you’re not convinced it will look good on you. We’ll tell you how to rock the look.
Pick your intensity
Even better you can choose how strong you want to go on your lips. Blot it down to look like a stain, swipe on slightly thicker for medium coverage, or lay it on thick for full-on saturated color. There’s plenty of wiggle room to make it as intense or subtle as you like.
Choose your texture
Then there’s a host of finishes to choose from; creamy, matte, metallic, shimmery, slick or stain. If you’re wary of bold purple, opt for a sheer, creamy texture. Meanwhile, if statement look is what you’re after, choose a matte or metallic finish. The rest of the time pick something in between like a satiny texture that’s not too shiny or too matte.
Play down the rest of your look
The nice thing with such a bold hue is that you can get away with less makeup on the rest of your face. It’s all the pop of color you need. Just a lashing of mascara, a dab of powder and purple lips. Hello gorgeous!
The Dos and Don’ts of Wearing Purple Lipstick
- Go monochromatic. Think plum eyeliner and a plummy blush to tie your look together.
- Don’t go overboard. Don’t try purple lips, eyeshadows, nails and clothes, unless you’re auditioning for the Smurfs.
- Do experiment with complementary colors. Think yellow eyeliner and purple lips. Smashing!
- Don’t pair purple lips with blues and greens. Unless you love the tropical warrior princess vibe.
- Do play down the rest of your makeup. Think dewy lids, defined brow and some highlighter to keep the focus on your lips.