The easiest thing to do can sometimes be the most underestimated one, like applying coconut oil on hair. No wonder your grandma swore by this magic elixir. Believe it or not, a good ‘ol champi massage rates high over any salon treatment, any day. If you ask us, it’s certainly time to revisit the old practices and get that well-oiled system running again.
Coconut Oil Benefits For Hair
Here’s a lowdown on coconut oil benefits for hair.
- After a sweaty workout or during humid seasons, it’s natural for bacteria to accumulate on the scalp. This can cause your scalp to emanate an unpleasant odor. Coconut oil with its antifungal and antibacterial properties can help eliminate the odor-causing bacteria and even treat scalp infection in extreme cases.
- The most trusted and natural treatment for hair growth has always been the humble coconut oil. After all, it penetrates deeper than any other oil and deeply conditions the tresses. When everything else fails, you can always count on the nana advocated coconut oil to make your hair grow.
- Did you know coconut oil has natural SPF? This means coating your hair with coconut oil can ensure sun protection for those delicate strands.
- Damaged and brittle hair is a cry for help. Your hair needs nourishment to restore its shine and health. Always reporting to duty: coconut oil.
- Coloring hair is fun until you start to notice its aftereffects. Your hair tends to get dry and breaks easily. However, you can call upon coconut oil for damage repair and protect your hair from further damage.
Applying Coconut Oil The Right Way
If you’ve been diligent with applying coconut oil but are yet to see the results maybe you’ve got the application wrong. Here are a few pointers worth considering to make the hair oil treatment more effective.
- It’s recommended to apply coconut oil on hair at night before sleeping for better absorption and results. Avoid applying it during the day as it could take time to soak up while also making your hair look flat.
- Warming coconut oil on low temperature before application helps liquefy it and makes it easier to spread on your hair strands. The warm oil will help open up the follicles for better penetration of oil into the roots. Although, be careful to not overheat the oil.
- If your scalp is oily or your hair is thin you can avoid applying the oil on your scalp. This will ensure the oil doesn’t weigh down your hair.
- When applying oil, focus more on the dry and damaged ends and less where your hair is the healthiest. Applying on the mid-shafts where your hair is not dry will unnecessarily make it oily.
- If you can’t commit to an overnight treatment, leave the oil on your hair for at least 30 minutes before you rinse it off. Be careful with the amount of oil you use on your scalp as going overboard may require a couple of hair wash cycles to completely get rid of the residual oil.
Best Coconut Oil For Hair
We’ve rounded up the best coconut oils for hair based on different concerns. Scroll ahead to find your pick.
FAQs On Coconut Oil For Hair
1. Is overnight application of coconut oil good for hair?
Applying oil to hair during daytime could mean attracting dirt, and dust which is why it’s usually not recommended. Overnight treatment works great for hair that is especially dry and damaged. Simply massage the coconut oil on your scalp before you hit the bed and rinse your hair with a mild shampoo in the morning.
2. Which type of coconut oil is better for hair?
If you want to get all the nutrients present in the natural form of coconut oil, opt for extra virgin coconut oil. Refined or cold pressed coconut oil may be effective as well but it won’t have all the nutrients preserved in it.
3. It is advisable to apply coconut oil on wet hair? How to remove coconut oil from hair?
Applying coconut oil on wet or damp hair helps maximize the benefits of the oil. The oil gets absorbed faster on damp hair and it lends an extra moisture boost that lasts impressively long.
Apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, baking soda, egg mask, and dry shampoo are all effective in completely removing the residue of coconut oil from hair.
4. Recommend different types of coconut oils for hair.
- Organic coconut oil for hair: Sri Sri Tattva Organic Virgin Coconut Oil, Indus Valley Bio Organic 100% Pure Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
- Cold pressed coconut oil for hair: Nyassa Virgin Cold Pressed Coconut Oil, Kapiva Ayurveda Virgin Coconut Cold Pressed Oil
- Extra virgin coconut oil for hair: Merit Vco Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, VILVAH Herbal Extra Virgin Coconut Oil