Q: MYSTERY BEHIND EMULSION—Hero product in K-beauty routine..

Emulsion is a word that seems to get thrown around a lot in the K-beauty world, but no one ever seems to be able to give a straight, consistent answer of what it is or why you should use it. 

However, emulsions are actually a staple in Korean skin care routines and offer a whole range of benefits.

Emulsion: A light-weight, non-sticky, water-based basic moisturizer that helps your face absorb other beauty products. It helps retain hydration level and prevent moisture loss from our skin surface. It is good for people with oily skin, as it is water base, it does not cause pore clogging issues.

What is an emulsion, and how is it different from a cream?

In a nutshell: Emulsions are lighter versions of moisturizing creams. Unlike most heavy facial creams, emulsions are typically water-based, which means they go on lighter and thinner than creams. In some cases, emulsions come in gel or almost liquid forms. On the whole, emulsions absorb into the skin much more quickly and don’t sit on top of the skin the same way some creams do.

So what do emulsions do?

Emulsions offer many of the same benefits of a cream, just in a lighter formula. They’re formulated to act as a moisture lock that seals in all the hydration and benefits of your essence and serums. 

However, many people use emulsions as a continuance of their treatment products, not just as a moisturizer. 

When do you use it?

Emulsions are the in-between product between serums and creams. It’s not quite as light as a serum, but not quite as heavy as a cream. Similarly, it isn’t as concentrated as serums, but more targeted than heavy creams. And so, that’s right where it goes in the skin care routine—after serum and (optionally) before your final moisturizer. But how you use an emulsion really comes down to your skin type.

For oily skin.,emulsions can be an great option as your final moisturizing step before applying SPF. The fact that emulsions are lighter, water-based, and more easily absorbed make them attractive to people with oily skin as a way to get the hydration your skin needs without the weight and sheen of a cream. And if you live in a place that gets hot and humid, an emulsion can be a great option to keep your skin cool and light in the heat, while still delivering the hydration it needs.

However, you should make sure that the emulsion you’re using is specially targeted for hydration to be sure your skin doesn’t get the short hand on moisture.

I use this one---it just soothes my skin..n very light on my skin n doesnot sweats my face.mine skin type is oily,acne prone n very sensitive...

@Nykaa Army n my all fellows beauty buffs..

4 Likes2 Shares
Answer this now
3 Answers