Do you spend a major part of the A.M., struggling to set your hair in place? Yes, we’re talking about frizzy, unruly and knotty hair. Well, you can continue with the struggle or do something different this time. Give your hair what it has been begging for – a good dose of protein. How? Keratin hair treatment.
Keratin treatment works as a smoothing treatment by infusing keratin proteins in your hair strands and making them more manageable; and that’s just the beginning. What you are about to read has the potential to make your whole life easier. Ready?
What Is Keratin Treatment
Also known as Brazilian blowout, the keratin treatment is a hair straightening or smoothing treatment in which artificial keratin (protein) is added to your hair. Why keratin? Well, because your hair loves this kind of protein. When your hair lacks sufficient amount of naturally occurring keratin, it tends to turn frizzy and coarse.
How Does Keratin Hair Treatment Work
- The stylist will wash your hair with a clarifying shampoo and conditioner to get rid of any buildup, grease or impurities.
- In the next step, your hair will be blow dried vigorously to draw out all the moisture.
- Section by section, the keratin product will be applied with the help of a brush, and blow dried again to seal in the treatment. This will be followed by a waiting period to allow it to settle.
- After the product completely settles in the strands, your hair will be straightened with a flat iron. It is in this step that the keratin is sealed in the strands. The aim is to not miss a single strand, so this means meticulous ironing with at least five passes for every section. Phew!
- Your hair is now super-smooth!
P.S. We recommend, you zero in on a movie to watch before you sit for the treatment, as this process could take anywhere between 2 hours and 4 hours to finish.
Pros And Cons Of Keratin Treatment
If you are still on the fence on whether keratin treatment is good for hair, we’ve compiled a list of pros and cons to help you arrive at a concrete decision.
Benefits Of Keratin Treatment
- Tired of wrestling with your hair every time you try to brush it? Keratin treatment alters the bonds of your hair to improve its texture and feel. The result? Smooth and manageable tresses. Trust us, this will definitely cut down the time you spend to get ready in the morning!
- If you can’t stand frizzy strands ruining your look anymore, consider this smoothing treatment. It works by sealing the hair cuticles with a layer of protein that imparts softness and eliminates frizz. This means, humid or not, your hair will stay neat and not add to your problems.
- Imagine entering the salon and emerging with a look that stays for almost half a year. Sounds like a good deal, right? The results of this treatment last for upto 6 months as long as you don’t wash your hair too often and take good care post treatment.
- Don’t know what you would do without your straightener? Well, relying on the straightener daily means exposing your hair to heat every day. This can be damaging in the long run. Instead, consider keratin treatment as the result lasts much longer and spares your hair the constant exposure to heat.
- The coating of protein on every strand ensures strengthened hair that is less prone to breakage. Thus, it seems like your hair is growing faster as there is minimal breakage compared to the growth. Plus, as wavy or curled hair is smoothened, it uncoils and thus, appears longer in terms of overall length. Double whammy.
Keratin Hair Treatment Disadvantages
- Exposure to Formaldehyde in this treatment may cause allergic reactions in certain cases.
- Although the strands turn smooth, the overall hair volume may appear less. This is because your tresses will remain straight and will lack the natural bounce.
- This obvious downside to this treatment is that it requires after care maintenance. This includes, not washing your hair too frequently, not exposing your hair to chlorinated water (the swimsuit will have to wait) and using only sulphate-free shampoo or conditioners.
- The results are dreamy but they come at a cost. Depending on the hair length, texture and thickness, a keratin treatment can cost anywhere between 4k and 10k.
Shampoos For Keratin Treated Hair
Here’s a lowdown on the best shampoos for keratin treated hair. Go ahead and take your pick.
FAQs On Keratin Hair Treatment
1. How long does keratin hair treatment last?
The results of a keratin treatment can last anywhere between 3 and 6 months. This entirely depends on the texture of your hair and the after-care measures. To ensure the results last longer, wash your hair less frequently as this will keep the keratin locked in your hair for longer duration. Also, opt for sodium and sulfate free shampoos.
2. Do I really need to wait 3 days to wash hair after keratin treatment?
Yes. It is advisable to allow time for the keratin product to settle completely in your hair. Washing your hair immediately may drain all the efforts taken to infuse the keratin in your strands. Hence, it is best to wait for at least 3 days before you pick a shampoo and wash your hair.
3. Which serum is best for keratin treated hair?
The following serums and oils work well to preserve the results of keratin treatment on thin hair and thick hair as well.