If your skincare routine ends at your face, maybe you’ve forgotten your scalp which is just skin too. Your scalp needs attention as well, else you will wake up to greasy strands in the morning and who loves that? Wrong product, poor lifestyle or even genes can leave you with oily scalp and hair; doesn’t mean you can’t refresh the greasy roots and keep your crowning glory from appearing flat. All you need is a renewed hair care routine that dials down the grease.
Reasons For Oily Scalp
Before we get to the solutions, let’s first zero in on the cause for your oily scalp.
- If you have an oily complexion, naturally your scalp which is an extension of your skin is prone to getting oily too.
- Blame it on your genes if someone in your immediate family deals with an oily scalp.
- Have you been stressing out a lot lately? Well, here’s a newsflash: The more you stress, the more you trigger the oil producing sebaceous glands to go on an overdrive. The result is of course, oily scalp.
- Running your fingers through your hair while you exchange looks with your crush might work great for you although not so much for your hair. Why? The oil from your fingertips gets transferred to your strands and makes ‘em oilier.
- A head shower feels amazing. However, going overboard on hair wash and washing it every other day can strip your scalp of its natural oils. To compensate for the loss, your scalp then produces more oil thereby, fueling greasiness.
- Is your hairbrush clean? Since your hair brush harbors the build-up of all your styling products and dust, it can get greasy with time. So, ensure your brush is regularly cleaned before it comes in contact with your hair.
- The wrong product can ruin your hair. Check the ingredients and stick to products that will actually work with your hair and not against it to ensure the oiliness scales down.
- Hormonal fluctuations especially during puberty and menopause can be the root cause of oily scalp too. This might require you to consult with your doctor or trichologist and figure out a way to treat it.
- Overzealous with the styling? Using too many styling products can cause a build-up on your scalp that contributes to the greasiness. Your best bet at a grease-free scalp is regular detoxifying with a clarifying shampoo that works at exfoliating the scalp.
Home Remedies For Oily Hair
We’ve rounded up the most effective home remedies for oily scalp which you can follow on weekends as you binge on your favorite series. By the end of the series, you will probably have healthier scalp and hair. It’s a win-win!
1. Fuller’s Earth
Step 1: Combine 2 tablespoons of Fuller’s Earth and 1 tablespoon of Water and whisk it in a bowl till you get a smooth consistency.
Step 2: Apply this mixture on your scalp and leave it on for 15 minutes.
Step 3: Rinse off with a fragrant shampoo.
2. Egg and Lemon juice
Step 1: In a bowl, add 2 Egg Whites and 1 tablespoon of Lemon Juice. Mix it well.
Step 2: Apply this juice on your scalp and along the length of your hair.
Step 3: After leaving it on for 10 minutes, rinse off with a mildly fragrant shampoo.
3. Aloe Vera
Step 1: Take an Aloe Vera leaf and scoop out its pulp with the help of a spoon.
Step 2: Mix this gel with your shampoo and then apply to your scalp and strands.
Step 3: After leaving it on for 3 minutes, rinse off with cold water.
4. Black Tea
Step 1: In a bowl, add 2 tablespoons of Black Tea leaves and half a cup of Water. Let it boil.
Step 2: Strain the leaves and allow to tea to come to room temperature.
Step 3: Apply this tea to your scalp and leave it on for 15 minutes. Rinse off with cold water.
5. Apple Cider Vinegar
Step 1: In a bowl, mix 2 tablespoons of Apple Cider Vinegar with 1 tablespoon of Water.
Step 2: Apply this solution on your scalp and hair.
Step 3: After leaving it on for 10 minutes, rinse off with water.
Step 1: In a bowl, mix 1 cup of Yogurt, 2 tablespoons of Lemon Juice and 1 tablespoon of Baking Soda.
Step 2: Apply this pack to your scalp and hair and let it stay for 20 minutes.
Step 3: Rinse with your daily shampoo.
Best Shampoos For Oily Scalp
Oily scalp can be a downer. Luckily, you can always turn it all around. Here’s a lowdown on the best shampoos for oily hair.
A cult favorite which is light on both your scalp and wallet, this shampoo is tailor-made for the greasiest of scalps. Packed with Aloe Extract, Hibiscus Extract, Jojoba Seed Oil, Shea Butter, and Amla Extract, it nourishes your hair from root to tips while eliminating excessive oil and grime. Oh and while it promises relief to your scalp, it manages to do that sans the parabens and chemicals so your scalp feels safe.
Rebalancing equilibrium in scalp gets easier with the Aveda Scalp Benefits Balancing Shampoo. Replete with a nurturing blend of Burdock Root, Echinacea and Sage (we agree it sounds more like a recipe), it cleans down to the root for a deep cleanse. By removing the excess sebum and accumulated build-up, it leaves your scalp feeling light and clean without weighing your hair down.
If you are on the lookout for an instantly detoxifying pick-me-up, the L'Oreal Professionnel Hair Spa Detoxifying Shampoo does a great job. Enriched with anti-bacterial Tea Tree Oil, it frees your scalp of impurities and dirt whilst banishing excess oil. Plus, its gentle formula leaves your strands smelling fresh (thanks cooling methanol). Now, isn’t that what salon-like-hair dreams are made up of?
If you would rather consider a formula that removes excessive oil while also working at minimizing greasiness over time, opt for a pick effective in that direction, like this one. The Matrix Biolage Ultra Hydrasource Hydrating Shampoo optimizes moisture balance on the scalp and gently cleanses it. Formulated with Aloe, Capua Cu butter and Apricot Kernel Oil, it deeply detoxifies removing every last bit of residue on your hair. Plus, unlike many other shampoos, this one is paraben free.
If you are looking for a guaranteed clean sweep that blitzes build-up, removes excess grease and keeps oil at bay, meet Rene Furterer Curbicia Purifying Clay Shampoo For Oily Scalp. What makes it work? Curbicia Extracts regulate oil production whereas the Thyme, Rosemary and Clove Essential Oils team up to ensure deep cleansing. Specially formulated for oily scalps, you can count on this as your weekly scalp treatment.
No one talks about this, but we believe shampoo bottles don’t have to look meh; it would help if they looked chic and inspiring. Schwarzkopf BC Scalp Genesis Anti Dandruff Shampoo gets that although it’s more than just pretty packaging – enriched with Stem Code Complex technology and Vitamin B5, it rebalances the scalp and deep cleanses it while also taking care of dandruff. Not only that, it’s also loaded with Vitamin E that protects the scalp from external aggressors.
FAQs On Oily Scalp Causes And Remedies
1. Is unhealthy diet one of the reasons for oily scalp?
If your diet mainly comprises of junk food or oily and spicy food which lacks the essential nutrients that your hair needs, it could result in your scalp getting oilier with time. A little tweak in your diet can go a long way in reducing the oiliness on your scalp. Fried foods, dairy products, poultry, fish, meat, sugar when had in excess amounts can trigger oily scalp so consume them in limited amounts.
2. Recommend best shampoo for sticky hair.