Ah…the season of sun, sand and sea is almost here! While you’re all set to indulge in summery pursuits, you’re never fully prepared until you refresh your stash. Why? ’cause just like you’ve pushed those cozy sweaters in your closet to the back in favor of lightweight sundresses, it’s necessary to replace those heavy hitters (creams, hair masks et al) with lighter, high-endurance formulas. After all, it’s time to take a break and go easy, peasy, beachy.
If you don’t know where to start, we’ve done the hard work for you. Ahead, five secrets to show your locks who’s boss straight through the tanning season. Happy hair flicks!
Top 5 Summer Hair Care Products:
1. Break Out That Hydrating Shampoo
From dryness to greasy scalp, keeping on top of your hair game during the scorching weather is a really ambitious feat. To the rescue: light, hydrating hair cleansers that not only replenish moisture back into parched hair, but also feel like freshness in a bottle.
Our top pick…
This shampoo has been created with moisture-starved strands in mind. Packed with the ultra-hydrating benefits of Coconut Milk, it leaves the hair moisturised and the scalp squeaky clean with a smooth, nurtured finish. It’s free of parabens and colorants and formulated with 90 percent naturally derived ingredients, making it ideal for all hair types. While the natural Antioxidants, Sea Kelp and Aloe eliminate oils and impurities besides dousing the hair with moisture, the bouquet of Vanilla and White Florals keeps your hair smelling divine all day long. Indeed, a match made in heaven for sunny days.
Nykaa Recommends: Herbal Essences Coconut Milk Shampoo For Hydration & Softness - No Parabens, No Colourants
2. Use A Nourishing Hair Mask
Hands down, a nourishing hair mask once a week is key to coax hair into good condition (although post-holiday hair will require some more TLC—twice a week is plenty).
Our top pick…
Fried, brittle, crimped hair is surely not a pleasant sight. *Cringes*. Which is why we love this bestselling mask from Wella. The blend of Goji Berry, Vitamin E, Panthenol and Oleic Acid deeply moisturises dry, stressed hair, while protecting them from future damage. After just one use, hair feels sleeker, shiner, stronger and more manageable. As for summer damage? Like the cold wave, that, too, is gone. Oh, and did we mention the citrusy scent works as a sure shot pick-me-up? Just what you need on a lazy day.
Nykaa Recommends: Wella Professionals INVIGO Nutri Enrich Deep Nourishing Mask
3. Calm Them Cuticles With A Lightweight Oil
Did you know your hair cuticles expand during summer? The key to keeping them in the right shape and balancing out humidity lies in soothing the scalp and delivering the right care, which is where raking a lightweight oil through your ends makes a real difference.
Our top pick…
Hola, happy hair. Formulated with the #1 summer hair ingredient, Moroccan Argan Oil (FYI: it’s lightweight, hydrating, smoothes frayed hair shafts, nourishes, and delivers the highly coveted shine), this elixir transforms even the dullest, driest strands that feel like Sahara Desert. It repairs frizz, brittleness and promotes hair growth, all credits to the miraculous blend of Coconut, Jojoba, Almond, Castor, Olive, Avocado, Romsey, Tea Tree, Tulsi Oils and extracts of Bhringraj, Brahmi, and Amla. Massage a few drops on damp strands and you’ll be o-b-s-e-s-s-e-d
Nykaa Recommends: St.Botanica Moroccan Argan Hair Growth Oil
4. Shield First, Splish Splash Later
Let’s admit it—chlorine fear is a thing. We feel it too. Why? ’cause though the pool is great for blitzing bacteria, it’s crazy harsh on your hair. It strips strands of natural oils and leaves them looking dry and lacklustre. Sounds more like a nightmare than a holiday dream.
Our top pick…
Trust this chlorine protection hair care combo to avoid turning your beachy waves into fried fringes—no swimming cap required. The pre swim chlorine protection spray with SPF 30 forms a protective veil on your hair to keep pool chemicals and harsh UV rays from stripping the hair of natural moisture. It’s effective for up to 120 minutes and works its magic in sea water, too. On the other hand, the post swim dechlorinating spray, with Vitamin C and Antioxidant-rich Complexes, binds to the chlorine in hair strands and pulls it out gently, neutralizing it to prevent damage. Both these pool essentials are formulated without nasty agents and are 100 percent safe to use, keeping your hair free of frizz, odour, dryness, brittleness, and lacklustre. Here’s the best part: they can be used on your skin as well. Would we be wrong to call this getting the best of both worlds?
Nykaa Recommends: Dot & Key Swim Care Essentials Combo
5. Leave The Appliances Alone
Your hair doesn’t need intense blow drying and heat styling on top of all that blazing sun. To remember? Limit exposing your hair to hot tools—it protects the hair follicles and minimizes seasonal damage. Try air drying as far as possible and on days when you want to perk up lifeless layers in like 1, 2, 3, count on a texturizing spray to bring back that much coveted volume and shine, sans damage.
Gorgeous beachy waves or tousled locks without heat styling? Yes, please. Born to deliver a strong hold, this lightweight, humidity-resistant sea salt spray enhances volume and body for the perfectly messy beach look. The hero ingredients Silk Protein and Argan Oil stimulate moisture retention and strengthen strands right from the roots, thereby repairing and protecting hair from weather extremes. Just spritz it into wet hair and scrunch it to add body and volume and mist over dry hair to add rough texture.
Nykaa Recommends: Balmain Paris Texturizing Salt Spray
Beat the biggest beauty blunders with these summer hair care tips...
- Clarify with a dry shampoo like Batiste Dry Shampoo Floral & Flirty Blush Seduction Fleurie when on-the-go. Since the heat causes hair cuticles to expand, the scalp is more likely to absorb everything—from dust, dirt to smells.
- Finish your routine with a UV-protecting hair serum like Streax Professional Vitariche Gloss Hair Serum. It’ll work wonders on moisture-craved locks and shield your strands from the sun.
- Blot dry with a micro towel. It’s gentle, non-irritating, and avoids frizz.
- Pre-soak your strands with cold water before you take a dip in the pool because your hair can only absorb so much water, it will be less likely to absorb damaging elements like chlorine and salts.
- Never skip heat protecting spray when using hot tools ’cause, you know. We love Tresemme Keratin Smooth Heat Protection Shine Spray.
- Lock in moisture with a leave-in cream like BBLUNT Climate Control, Anti-Frizz Leave-In Cream. It not only makes the hair soft and shiny, but also defends it against environmental stressors and pollution.
- Go au naturale. Sun, salt and heat are already pretty harsh, hence let your hair just be.
- Slap on a hat when out and around. It not only protects the hair, but also looks chic.
- Eat healthy, stay hydrated. Good health is the secret to overall beauty, and your hair is no exception.